5429 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mitel 3300 phones wont boot with vlan tagging

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josh Wagner_1

mitel 3300 phones wont boot with vlan tagging

I'm trying to set up a straight-forward mitel 3300 system using three HP 2524 switches. Each port will have a phone/data combination, so according to mitel I need to create 2 vlans, untag ports on the native and tag ports on the voice (vlan 2).

If I do this, the phones will not boot. They hang on DHCP discovery.

If I no all ports on the native vlan and untag all ports on vlan 2, everything works great. But as far as I can tell this setup cannot prioritize voice traffic.

The 3300 is the DHCP server and is configured per mitel instructions.

Data systems are already statically assigned.

Thanks!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: mitel 3300 phones wont boot with vlan tagging

What about the configuration of your other devices ?
If you VLAN, then you isolate... It means that something has to route (a router :-)) between vlans. Did you set it up ?
What about your swicth configuration ? Could you describe more precisely how they are connected to your mitel (which ports connected to what, how VLANned...) ?
RGDS
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Sounds like the same problem that Stuart Phillips was having.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:lOwFbA3kMhAC:forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xc90f5fe8b250d71190080090279cd0f9,00.html+itrc+networking+mitel+vlan+&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_de&ie=UTF-8

I wondered if he ever got it fixed? For some reason I never got back to him.

He had about the same setup that I expect you have. On the Mitel you have a single Network connection which should have VLANs 1 and 2 on them. On the switch port, 1 should be untagged and 2 should be tagged. It is important that the Mitel also be set up to tag VLAN 2 and not tag VLAN 1. The same should be the case for each voice/data port. I assume there is some way to set the phones the same way? If not you may have to reverse the VLANs (make 1 = voice and 2 = data).

Ron

Josh Wagner_1

Jerome, thanks for the reply!

According to mitel (as far as I can tell) there is no additional router configuration.

All data and voice systems are on the same /24 network. The 3300 indicates to the phones at book that they will be on vlan 2 with priority 6. The phones and the data systems never need to talk to each other.

I currently have 2 scenarios, a customer system which has 3 switches "trunked" together (even though there is no trunking on their config) and one gigantic LAN. The 3300 sits on one of the switches.

I also am working on a test setup in my office that has 1 hp switch, 1 3300, 2 phones, and an optional 2610 cisco router if needed. Can't get either setup to work as indicated in the previous message. Thank you!!!!
Josh Wagner_1

Ron thank you too! Yes, I did come across that message before. Maybe I should get in touch with Stephen since his setup seems to be working (except for paging)....

I will try your suggestions though. Thank you!
Josh Wagner_1

Ron thank you too! Yes, I did come across that message before. Maybe I should get in touch with Stephen since his setup seems to be working (except for paging)....

I will try your suggestions though. Thank you!
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Bit strange having both voice and data on the same /24 but then putting them in separate VLANs. Normally a VLAN will contain all members of the one subnet and other VLANs will use different subnets. Could be your problem since this could confuse the routing on the MITEL. How should it know whether to send a packet to VLAN 1 or VLAN 2? Can the MITEL have two different IP addresses in different subnets? One for VLAN 1 and One for VLAN 2?

I am assuming that for some reason the MITEL needs to be on the Data LAN. (If not then it only needs to have VLAN 2 with tagging.) Is it providing DHCP for both Data and Voice LANs? If so it needs to have two different address pools to choose from and some assignment of an address pool to a VLAN.

If you have the same /24 on both VLANS then it will be hard for the router to help switch between them since it won't want to have the same /24 on two different virtual ports.

Ron
Stuart Phipps
Occasional Contributor

hi,

if I can of help, I have the same setup using mitel 3300 & 4 x hp2524's.

stu..
mitello

Hi,

I think the phone set can't reach your mitel 3300 device.
In your DHCP settings should be programmed the TFTP address and the ICP Address.
They usually are the same , thats the Ip address from the Mitel system (the same you log in at)
Because the DHCP request is untagged (the phone has got no info from the system yet) you must ensure that untagged traffic can reach both V lans.

Grtz