1753888 Members
7344 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: modem swap from one Compaq to another

Harry_27
Occasional Advisor

modem swap from one Compaq to another

Does anybody know if an old Presario ISA modem will work in a deskpro EN? I have a few different ones and wondering if I can use them in the EN & how!

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

It depends on the EN. The PII Deskpro EN???s and earlier did have ISA slots. Some of the early PIII models did as well. You will have to open the case and see if they have ISA slots along with the PCI slots. If they do not have ISA slots, then you cannot use the modem.

Lance
Harry_27
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, I have three and their PII & III and they do have both PCI & ISA slots. I can't seem to get them to recognize the modems tho. I was just wondering what drivers I should be using. The modems I have are the Lucent ISA 1641c chip & 1640c one is an AT&T. Some say for the Presario 4500 series and others say series PSB226 and still others say different. So I have a few to work with!

Harry
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

You need to look at the modem and see who made the chipset and that will be a good place to start for a driver.

Lance
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

From the chip numbers you gave you have the LT Win modem sometimes called "Apollo" when in ISA form. Lucent's modem division is now Agere and they offer a generic driver 8.22:

http://www.agere.com/support/client/modem_driver2.html

For more information on the modem:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/ltwin7.asp

Ron

PS Beware of the EN's dual ISA/PCI slot. We could never get our network cards to work in them but I don't remember if the NICs we tried were PCI or ISA. Perhaps there was a setup option we missed.

Harry_27
Occasional Advisor

I tried that generic driver but it did no good with a couple of modems I tested but I'll try again tho with a couple a different modems.

Thanks