6098 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: new network doesn't see jetdirect printer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Bourke_1

new network doesn't see jetdirect printer

I have just subscribed to Qwest DSL and have the supplied Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway #GT701-WG. My problem is that the Gateway doesn't recognize my HP4M laserjet with JetDirect which is hardwired via ethernet cable to the gateway. The gateway's ethernet light lights up, but the computer doesn't see the printer. (my previous Apple Airport wireless router worked just fine with the printer) In talking with the Actiontec tech support, they think the problem is in the JetDirect's IP address. The Gateway's valid IP range is from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. The JetDirect's IP address is 192.168.1.48 My guess is that this is outside of the Gateway's range. If this is my problem, how do I change the IP address of my printer? I couldn't find any configuration software that supports MacOSX on HP's support website. Any help would be greatly appreciated! PS: the printer works just fine when directly connected via ethernet to my Mac computer. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

Assuming a standard Class C subnet mask (255.255.255.0) you are correct in saying the Jetdriect IP is outside of the gateway range and therefore the two devices will not communicate.

Is the Jetdirect a separate unit or is it an embedded card in the 4M Laserjet?

If is the latter and the 4M is one of the models with a front lcd display you may be able to configure via menus.

If the former, does the JetDirect unit have a console port in which to access the config via a terminal emulation program.

Does the JetDirect have a web interface?
If so, using a crossover ethernet cable can you connect an IP-configurable workstation/laptop to the JetDirect unit using the current IP range so that can then alter the IP value to the desired range?

Hope this helps somewhat. Am unsure of the specifics of your printer, JetDirect and gateway setup and models.
Ron Bourke_1

Yes, it's the standard Class C subnet mask (255.255.255.0). The JetDirect is an embedded card. I've tried accessing IP address menus via the front LCD display & menu but haven't had any luck finding any way to configure from the menu functions on the 4M. I'm out of my leagues on this problem, so it may be possible, I just haven't figured out how to do it. If the JetDirect has a web interface, I haven't found a Macintosh version on HP's support website. - Ron
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor
Solution

Via the menus on the printer display panel you should be able to print out the unit's current configuration.
There will be a printout option for general printer settings and a printout option for Network Interface settings.
This latter printout should tell you all the protocols available and which are active, including their current settings.

If the IP protocol is setup for Bootp or DHCP then it would be getting an IP address from some other device eg. the router if it is acting as a DHCP/BootP server, but if set static then there should be an interface menu accessable from the front panel that will allow the value to be changed. HP printers are usually pretty intuitive in their menus.
(I know some Laserjet4 models didn't come with front panels at all though)

I assume the printer works fine directly to the MAC because Appletalk protocol is activated. Once IP address is changed then the router should talk happily too.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Set your PC to 192.168.1.47 with mask 255.255.255.0 (don't need a gateway). Now you should be able to browse to it and change its address. I expect you have to reboot the thing to get the address to take. Once you do that you can change your PC back to DHCP.

Ron
Ron Bourke_1

Problem solved. Since my intuition doesn't seem to be up to the challenge of the 4's front panel, I was able to find a service manual from a free download site on the web. By changing the IP address combined with the inclusion of the router's address in my TCP/IP settings on my PC, the printer is now a happy member of my litttle network. Thanks all! - Ron