anyone can help me with this?? im a very beginner of VLAN
thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: new to VLAN

hi ammadeyy,

First of all u will nedd a router to do the routing for you, because that switch doesn't do routing, another alternative would be to replace that switch with a layer 2 and 3 switch, that suports routing, like the 5300 series.

Since you plan to have 5 vlans, and restrict comunication between them, i would advise reading the manual on vlans, because, there's a lot of issues you'll have to resolve, since u don't have much experience with VLANs.

But for a initial setup, u should draw your desired infrastructure on a piece of paper, and note your config also, like the ip subnets youl'l use, gateways, etc, or else things might start to get complicated just in your head.

Also remember that vlans block broadcast, so traffic like dhcp traffic will not pass to other vlans even if routing is enable between them, youl'l have to tell the switch/router to permit the kind of trafic to pass.

regards,
Hugo.
ammadeyy
Contributor

thanks for the reply

if i use windows 2003 as a router? will it be ok?
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

ammadeyy:

It is possible, but is not a very good solution, expetially if u have a lot of computers. :S

One more thing, in order to the other switches or routers in your network recognise you vlans, youl'l need a routing protocol like rip or ospf, w2k3 suports this protocols, but like i said this is not the best solution for production enviorments.

regards,
Hugo.
ammadeyy
Contributor

if it does the job its ok for the time
so i can connect windows 2003 server any port of the 2626 switch???

i have 50 pc's in my network
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

yes.

but u should first choose with vlan should the w2k3 server belong to.

all the ports are the same, it depends how they are attributed to the vlans.

note: 50 computers is not to much, but even so, w2k3 will deal with a lot of trafic, and is not very realible.
Miika T
Valued Contributor

You can do routing with 2626. It's not so advanced as with 53xx series (no acl's etc). This might be an alternative solution, if you don't want to create vlan's on your servers. You need to enable "ip routing" on the switch, and give all necessary vlan's an ip, and use this as the default gw for each vlan subnet. Point the switch default vlan to your default router/fw and have a static route to all vlan subnets via the switch ip within the router/fw vlan.

-Miika