cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

normal rates for mcast/bcast

Steven Piercy_1
Occasional Advisor

normal rates for mcast/bcast

I'm looking over the port counters for one of our 5308xl switches, and they seem to be rather high. The user guide says the port counters reset on reboot, so I've done that, but they still remain high. I can reset them in the cli, but the rates are difficult to gauge from there.

First of all, considering I don't have any multicast specific apps running, I wonder what could be considered typical for 50 user lans where internet streaming protocols are allowed.

I'm seeing very high counts of mcast packets across multiple (not all, but most) ports as well as a large number of broadcasts.

Sniffing with Wireshark does show some excesses from protocols like SAP from our printers, but not at high enough rates to explain my port counters.

Does anyone know of a good method to track packet rates without using PCM+ or the CLI.
1 REPLY
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: normal rates for mcast/bcast

'Does anyone know of a good method to track packet rates without using PCM+ or the CLI.'

Any SNMP monitoring tool should do that easily enough. Running 'snmpwalk ifInMulticastPkts' every few minutes would be quick and dirty. Then you could move up to a short script, or a full-blown tool like MRTG.