Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752803 Members
5542 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nx9010 modem: Cannot dial into Cisco router (XP/2000)

Ian_159

nx9010 modem: Cannot dial into Cisco router (XP/2000)

Good day,

The Nx9010 is, without a doubt, laden with hardward issues that need to be addressed! First off, the onboard network adapter. This NIC freezes up XP/2K when using specific connections to specific software (i.e. ADP client connections to ADP server software). We have two nx9010's both had the exact same issue. No other PC had any problem. To get around this, our company had to purchase two PCMCIA Netgear 10/100 adapters. This solved the NIC problem (also onboard NIC froze up XP/W2K when connecting to Watchguard III firewall [client/firewall software]). Regarding the onboard modem; I often have to dial into Cisco routers and switches to maintain their performance, etc (I have been doing this for several years now). No matter what terminal emulation software I use, (Hyperterminal included), I cannot enter the router from the nx9010. In Procomm Plus 4.8 I get the following error (this is with VTY-100 setup as well as the baud rate on both windows and Procomm set to 9600):
+MCR: V34

+MRR: 19200

+ER: LAPM

+DR: NONE

CONNECT 19200 (SHOULD BE 9600 FOLLOWED BY A PASSWORD PROMPT FROM THE ROUTER/SWITCH).

These exact settings on Procomm 4.8 work fine on my partners Compaq EVO 800c. From his I get in no problem with a 9600 baud rate. When using Hyperterminal on both XP and W2K I get NO response from the router/switch. This is ridiculous!! I guess a new laptop will have to be purchased.

Sincerely,

Senior Network Admin
Continental Web Press

2 REPLIES 2
Terhorst
Trusted Contributor

Re: nx9010 modem: Cannot dial into Cisco router (XP/2000)

Hi Ian,

Looks like you are connected at 19200 speed to your Cisco router/switch, this should be 9600. You will see nothing when you are connected at the wrong speed.
The Nx9010 nic, it is a 10/100/1000 adapter?

Regards,
Alexander
Ian_159

Re: nx9010 modem: Cannot dial into Cisco router (XP/2000)

9600 is set as baud rate. It changes when I enter the external modem that is connected to the routers console/aux port via rollover cable. The router will not respond to any baud rate other than 9600, so it will not let me in. On any laptop/desktop other than the nx9010 I enter the router/switches no problem through the same external modem. The problem is the nx9010's hardware configuration. Even an external USB modem cannot connect to the router from the nx9010 (Same baud rate issue)! Regarding the onboard NIC; it is a 10/100.