Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

older Procurve mini gbics

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

older Procurve mini gbics

We are upgrading our switches from 4108s to 5300s. When I moved the GBICs from the 4108 to the 5300 the switch went to fault mode. I had to hard reboot the switch to reset it. I know that there are some non-HP gbics that are not supposed to work but I know these are HP branded GBICs. These gbics are were purchased new in early 2004. Is HP warranting these GBICs or do I have to buy all new?
Regards,
Chris
3 REPLIES
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: older Procurve mini gbics

There is a table showing what combinations are supposed to work at:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/Mini-GBIC-Support-Aug2007.pdf

I don't imagine locking up hard is the desired behaviour in any case. It might be worth checking the firmware is current; there are a few fixes around.

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

After verifying that the modules are HP and talking to HP support yesterday, I tried again and it appeared to accept the older module without a lockup. I will try to do a full scale move and hopefully it will go smoothly.
Thanks for the cheat sheet,
Chris
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor