1752579 Members
2978 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

p-Class GbE2 Switch (Blade)

Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

p-Class GbE2 Switch (Blade)

I have a p-Class GbE2 Switch and I have a question regarding vlan tagging.

I have port 1 (blade 1, NIC1) tagging enabled and I noticed that the port started tagging even for the default PVID. Is this the correct behavior? I thought that the default PVID is always not tagged????????

Thanks.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
2 REPLIES 2
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Re: p-Class GbE2 Switch (Blade)

The GbE2 tags all VLANs - including the default/native VLAN.

Cisco by default does not tag the native VLAN but they do provide a command to tag the native if desired (vlan dot1q tag native).

There is a slight difference between GbE2 tagging the native and Cisco tagging the native VLAN. Even with the GbE2 tagging the native VLAN, it will still accept untagged frames and classify the frames as the native VLAN ID (PVID). Whereas with Cisco, when you enable tagging of the native VLAN, all untagged frames are dropped.

Tagging of the native VLAN is actually safer. If you have different native VLANs accidentally configured on both sides of a point to point link, tagging the native VLAN will still allow all traffic to pass without getting classified as the wrong VLAN.

Bottom line is that it shouldn't cause any problems. If anything, it will prevent problems.

Regards,
-sean
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: p-Class GbE2 Switch (Blade)

i've found ports 1-16 behavior to be inconsistent with ports 17-24. :( with tagging turned on, ports 1-16 tags all vlans. while ports 17-24 tags only non-pvids. :( anyone else experiencing this?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.