New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem configuring an hp 2524

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

problem configuring an hp 2524

Hi all.
I have just bought [that is, a week ago] a second HP Procurve 2524 with which I intend to replace an existing (different brand) switch, which works OK but with lower speed.
My problem is that I have not been able to configure the 2524 to do what the existing switch does.
Here are some details:
- there are 3 lans. One of them (label "vlan400") is completely independent of the other 2 (labeled "vlan50" and "vlan300").
- communication between vlan50 and vlan300 is done through a linux router, connected via 802.1q to port 7. The router also has another interface, through which a different VLAN ("vlan150") is routed
-another small switch (8 ports) with some servers attached to it is connected to port 6, belonging to vlan50.
So, what I want is quite simple: direct communication between vlan50 and vlan300, under the control of the linux. router
During some tests done a week ago I was able to go from a machine placed in vlan300, through the router, up to another machine in vlan150. On the other hand, communication between vlan50 and vlan300 did not work (I repeat: with the existing switch it does work). With the attached configuration (tested yesterday) I tried to interconnect the 2 switches (old+hp2524). I have been unable to access any computer connected to the old switch, via the cable connected to port 5.
I would appreciate any idea, 'cause despite being sure I do something obviously wrong/stupid, I cannot understand what.
2 REPLIES 2
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor
Solution

At least one point can be seen right away: you say that the linux router (with 802.1Q, routing between VLANs 50 and 300) is connected to port 7, but port 7 has only VLAN 50 configured (as tagged).

So, you should add VLAN 300 to port 7 as well, tagged or untagged, whichever matches your router configuration.
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

good point.
while modifying the configuration, I have also noticed the real problem: when transferring the configuration from the old switch to the 2524, I have reversed the tags between 2 VLANs

Thank you for the hint