Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748213 Members
3025 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problems reading snmp values off a 5304xl?

nic_9
Advisor

problems reading snmp values off a 5304xl?

Hi.

have a 5304xl running firmware E.10.23.

using PRTG to graph the usage of the resources. When i do the initial setup, PRTG picks up the switch, I add my ports i want to monitor, working fine.

after 4-5 days, PRTG looses the "connection" with the switch. Cannot read SNMP values anymore. Only way to bring it back is to change the community name to something else, restart the switch and add it again th PRTG, then it happens all over again in 4-5 days.

I have 4 other 5300 series which do not give me this issue.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Haven't heard of that before. Anything in the switch event log of interest? Can you still ping the IP interface that you're querying?

From the CLI, try: 5304#getmib

Or 5304#walkmib .

Does that return anything?

Maybe try another SNMP Viewer on a different machine - Getif is a free utility for Windows you could try - http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

nic_9
Advisor

nothing in the event log, a few LACP notifications.

Switch remains up during this problem, I can ping, telnet/ssh into it no problem

walkmib does not return any values.

ive just run getif and it's able to see the device values.

does this help at all?

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If getif is working then it would seem like the problem is with PRTG...

Also for that walkmib command on the switch, I think it might actually be 'walkmib .1'
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Unless of course you ran getif while PRTG was working anyway...

You need to try and establish whether or not SNMP is responding at all on the switch when the problem occurs.

walkmib on the switch, or another SNMP application is where I would start anyway.

If you're certain the switch is not responding to any requests, while it is in that state capture a 'show tech all' report from the switch and open a call with HP support. If you could also get some packet captures I'm sure that would also be interesting to see.