1748216 Members
3389 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

procurve 2626 startup error

Adam Horsewood

procurve 2626 startup error

Hi All

I have a procurve 2626, which had the erase startup config command performed on it. However upon reboot it fails to restore to factory defaults. Output from the terminal is as below.

initializing.Can't open "/flash/config.txt"

Config Error - Initialization Stopped

Waiting for Speed Sense. Press twice to continue.
Config Error - Initialization Stopped

Waiting for Speed Sense. Press twice to continue.

я┐╜bOG

Connected at 9600 baud

3uupdate
#y

ProCurve J4900B Switch 2626

RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions

as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and

Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

CONFIGURATION INITIALIZATION FAILED:

Invalid Product Number in Config File
Press any key to continue

once i press a key to continue the screen blanks out and seems to stay that way.

I have tried doing a hard factory reset with by depressing the reset and clear buttons at the same time, however this results in the above again.

I have read the troubleshooting section of the guide but am not presented with a prompt to enter any commands as far as i can tell so cant send a working config file that way as per

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/Mgmt-Oct2005-59906023-AppC.pdf

Any insite or help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
10 REPLIES 10
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: procurve 2626 startup error

Hi Adam,

Looks like a corrupted flash to me, since you already tried the factory default settings I can't think of something else to try.
I must say that I never have seen the error "Invalid Product Number in Config File"

Call 0870 0130 778 for UK support.
Arjan Koopen

Hi,

This maybe a very late reply, but I would like to post this here so people with similar problems can fix this. This is the only topic I could find mentioning this problem.

I've had this exact same problem with a HP ProCurve 2650. I was able to resolve it using the "bench-mode" of the switch.

To enable the bench-mode you will have to screw open the switch and place a jumper (like you find on motherboards) on the 'bench'-pin on the board.

On the right-side of the board you'll find pins with descriptions such as 'Debug', 'Bench' and 'Dump'.

When you boot up the switch with the bench-mode enabled, you will be able access the original CLI (plus a lot of other features). In this CLI you will be able to erase the configuration again.

The switch will then write a default config to the flash, fixing the problem of the missing config. That the config is missing you can see in bench-mode running the 'show run'-command.
Franklyn
Frequent Advisor

Hi Arjan and Adam,

Excellent tip, only minor problem is you are voiding the warranty, by opening the box, since its a lifetime warranty it would seem like a silly thing to do?

Good Luck!
Adam Horsewood

Hi

Thanks for the info. In the end we returned it to hp. Usefull to know the extra info there though, so thanks!

adam
Arjan Koopen

If you need a quick fix for this problem my method is the way to go. As far as I know there is no seal that can be broken while opening the box, so in theory this cannot affect your warranty.

However, if something breaks during this '3rd-party repair process', your warranty will not cover it.
yoda_1

├Р ├С ├Р┬╛├Р┬▒├Р┬╗├Р┬╡├Р┬╝├Р┬░ ├С ├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╡├С ├С ├С ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╛├С ├С ├Р┬╛.
├Р ├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬╕ ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬▓├Р┬║├Р┬░ ├Р┬▒├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬░ ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╗├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬░ ├Р┬▓ primary, ├Р┬╜├Р┬╛ ├С ├Р┬▓├Р┬╕├С ├С ├Р┬╜├Р┬╡ ├Р┬▓├С ├Р┬║├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬╖ ├С ├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬╕, ├С ├Р┬╛ ├Р┬╝├Р┬╛├Р┬╢├Р┬╜├Р┬╛ ├Р┬┐├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬╡├Р┬║├Р┬╕├Р┬╜├С ├С ├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬╖ secondary ├Р┬▓ primary, ├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬╕ ├Р┬▓├С ├Р┬║├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╗├С ├С ├С ├Р┬╛ ├С ├Р┬╢├Р┬╡ ├Р┬╜├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬╡├Р┬╝ ├Р┬╜├Р┬╡ ├Р┬┐├Р┬╛├Р┬╝├Р┬╛├Р┬╢├Р┬╡├С ├С , ├Р┬║├С ├Р┬╛├Р┬╝├Р┬╡ ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬║ ├Р┬┐├Р┬╛ ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬║├С ├С ├С ├Р┬╛├Р┬╝├С ├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬║├Р┬╡├С ├С ├Р┬┐├Р┬╛├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬╕├С ├С ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╝├Р┬╡├Р┬╜├С ├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬┐├Р┬╛├С ├С ├Р┬╡├Р┬╜├Р┬╜├С ├Р┬╝ ├С ├Р┬▓├Р┬╕├С ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╝.
├Р ├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬╕ ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬▓├Р┬║├Р┬░ ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╗├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬░ ├Р┬▓ secondary, ├Р┬░ primary ├Р┬╛├С ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╗├Р┬░├С ├С ├С ├С ├Р┬░├С ├Р┬░├С ├Р┬╕ ├С ├Р┬▓├Р┬╕├С ├С ├Р┬▓├С ├Р┬║├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬╡├Р┬╝ ├Р┬▒├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬░ ├С ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╜├Р┬░ ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬│├С ├С ├Р┬╖├Р┬║├Р┬░ ├Р┬╕├Р┬╖ secondary, ├С ├Р┬╛ ├Р┬▓├Р┬╛├Р┬╖├Р┬╝├Р┬╛├Р┬╢├Р┬╜├Р┬╛ ├С ├Р┬┤├Р┬╡├Р┬╗├Р┬░├С ├С ├С ├Р┬▒├С ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬║├Р┬╛├Р┬╜├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬│├С ├С ├Р┬░├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬╕: ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╢├Р┬╕├Р┬╝├Р┬░├Р┬╡├Р┬╝ clear & reset, ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬┐├С ├С ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬╡├Р┬╝ reset ├Р┬╕ ├Р┬┤├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬╢├Р┬╕├Р┬╝ clear, ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬║ ├С ├Р┬╛├Р┬╗├С ├Р┬║├Р┬╛ ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬╝├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬│├Р┬░├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬╗├Р┬░├Р┬╝├Р┬┐├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬║├Р┬░ self test ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬┐├С ├С ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬╡├Р┬╝ clear. ├Р┬б├Р┬▓├Р┬╕├С ├С ├Р┬╖├Р┬░├Р┬┐├С ├С ├Р┬║├Р┬░├Р┬╡├С ├С ├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬╖ primary ├Р┬╕ ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╛├Р┬┤├Р┬╛├Р┬╢├Р┬░├Р┬╡├С ├Р┬┤├Р┬░├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬╡ ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬▒├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬░├С ├С .

├Р┬┐.├С .
├Р┬╜├Р┬░ ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╣├С ├Р┬╡ ├Р┬║├Р┬╛├Р┬╝├Р┬┐├Р┬░├Р┬╜├Р┬╕├Р┬╕ ├Р┬▓├С ├Р┬╡ ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬║ ├Р┬╢├Р┬╡ ├Р┬▓├Р┬╕├С ├Р┬╕├С ├С ├С ├Р┬░ ├Р┬┐├С ├Р┬╛├С ├Р┬╕├Р┬▓├Р┬║├Р┬░, ├Р┬┤├Р┬░├Р┬╗├С ├С ├Р┬╡ ├Р┬┤├С ├Р┬╝├Р┬░├Р┬╣├С ├Р┬╡ ├С ├Р┬░├Р┬╝├Р┬╕ ;)
yoda_1

Hm, why do not support russian language?
>:(
Niels Roed

I too have a lot of 26xx series switches - one of these did behaive strange when I did a software update - afterwards it would not boot - witch I belive is a similar problem as yours.
You have proberbly already solved your isues but to others searching for a solution thisd might be helpfull.

I did this on my faulty 2650 device:
while holding the "clear" button, pressing the "reset" button on the front - wait to release the "clear" until a few sec.
This will start in some sort of safe recover mode - in this mode only a few commands are availble, among these are "JP 1" and "JP 2" witch will make the switch change witch boot image it will use.

unlike the other suggested solution this will not require opening any boxes - how-ever I do not know if this works for all 26xx models as I have only tested with 2650, but I did get my device fired up again
Bruce Campbell_3
Valued Contributor

After a power flicker here, three 2626's
running H.10.83 gave

CONFIGURATION INITIALIZATION FAILED:
Invalid Product Number in Config File

and needed to be factory reset with the buttons, and reconfigured from scratch.

Bruce Campbell
Director, Network Services
Information Systems and Technology
MC 1018
(519)888-4567 x38323
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON