108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

procurve 2650 vlan issue and internet issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Jayko_1
Occasional Advisor

procurve 2650 vlan issue and internet issue

We have a procurve 2650 with multiple vlan with a route forcing clients to our Microsoft ISA 2004 server. Everything works fine except internet traffic( runs dog slow) all other network traffic(email and apps) work fine. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed
12 REPLIES 12
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: procurve 2650 vlan issue and internet issue

If you do a 'show cpu' from the switch, is the cpu usage high? The 2650 supports only 128 host entries in hardware, so it can begin to slow down when routing traffic for many users.
Jason Jayko_1
Occasional Advisor

so far there is only to clients connected to 1 vlan for testing purposes. There has not been a high load of traffic.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Have you checked cabling / duplex settings (Auto recommended)? Are there any errors in the counters going to that port?

If you can capture the 'show tech' from the switch and attach it here (remove any sensitive information), I'll have a quick look through.

Otherwise contact HP support and have the show tech report ready for them.
Jason Jayko_1
Occasional Advisor

no errors at all on the port. how do i capture the data out
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi
Is your ISA server connected directly to your 2600 switch? is yes, i think then its a Server issue becasue all other traffic is ok.
And if you connected the ISA server to another switch then i recomend you to check the other switch, then Try to traceroute from client to ISA and see the path.

Science for Everyone
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Jason,

If you're using SSH or TELNET, I recommend using "PUTTY" to connect. You can turn on a logging feature to capture the "show tech".

To do this in putty, on the left panel under "logging" select the following options

Log printable output only
Log file name (specify a path...to give you an example mine is C:\PuttyLogs\&Y - &M - &D - &T - &H.log)

If the log file already exists, ask
Flush log file frequently
Omit known password fields

You can then go back to the session tab and connect.

If you're using hyperterminal, you can initate the session, then go to "transfer" then capture text. specify a file name and you're good to go. when you're finished with the "show tech" you can go to transfer - capture text - off

Hope this helps.
Jason Jayko_1
Occasional Advisor

here is the putty log.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

That is as close to a perfect show tech report that I've ever seen.

This is the ISA Server correct? 192.168.0.104.

Have you tried a client on the same VLAN 1 as the ISA server? Give it an address of 192.168.0.105, plug it into port 50 and test. This will test the general switching capability of the switch instead of it's routing.

If it is still slow, use a cross-over cable between that new client and the ISA Server (if it has a gigabit card you probably don't need a cross-over). If the performance is still slow then you know the issue is with the ISA server or internet connection. If it speeds things up a lot then let us know because I haven't thought of an explanation for that yet!
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

If you are going to route multiple VLANs to ISA, make sure that no clients exist on the same network segment as the ISA server. There should be a stub network as shown in this picture.
http://www.isaserver.org/img/upl/Image29161094811945968.gif
For the full details read the article:
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004netinnet.html

This however should not contribute to slowness. Slowness is most often a misconfiguration of the ISA server or DNS.

Run a netmon trace of the traffic on the internal NIC of the ISA to see what is really going on.