1753617 Members
5847 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: procurve 3500yl MAC lockout

maldiveboy
Occasional Contributor

procurve 3500yl MAC lockout

i have procurve 3500yl switch, and to extend the network im using unmanaged hubs
i have 100 clients

i want do a MAC lockout,
im thinkin if i can add all 100 clients MAC address to 3500 switch, so that any new clients cannot connect to my network unless i add the MAC address to the switch.

is this possible from this switch? if so how can i do this?
2 REPLIES 2
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

You could use a DHCP server to assign IP addresses based on predefined MACs (or bootp if you like it best), and build an ACL on the 3500 to only allow the IPs that are assigned in bootp or DHCP to roam through your network.

If a MAC that is not on the list hooks up in a free active jack, it can't get an IP. If the bad guy knows your IP assignment policy and serves himself a valid IP of your subnet, then the ACL kicks in and filters out that IP (of course, you need to maintain the ACL to match the bootptab list of IP addresses).

If he gets an IP that is permitted and if that IP is not used when he does his dirty job (some users do have vacation, you know), then this scheme does not hold, unles you deny the IPs of users that are gone in vacation in the ACL.

If the IP is already in use by some active computer, then there will be a duplicate IP, which can be detected fairly easy, and the legitimate user's computer will not work - he will surely call you if he's not out for a smoke.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

You could do a kind of manual 802.1X: take the MAC table off the 3500 every x minutes and compare it to an offline list of allowed MACs. If any MAC is outside the list, then find the port the MAC connects to and disable the port. Chose x as not to overload your network with non-production traffic. Don't ask me how to implement this (maybe some SNMP script or C program that uses SNMP routines)