Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752793 Members
5956 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: procurve 4104 & vlans

Rich Stutte_1

procurve 4104 & vlans

We are currently trying to connect two networks through vlans between two procurve 4104 switches. We have created a vlan on both switches each with the same port number, vlan id, and vlan name. On both switches the ports on which is connecting the switches are both tagged for the new vlan we created and untagged for the default vlan.

Our networks are as follows
10.1.1.0/24
10.1.4.0/24

we are trying to get clients on both networks to talk to each other. IP Routing is enabled on both switches and each switch has the gateway configured for the network it is servicing. What else do i need to do to get these two networks connected?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Steven Chan_9
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rich,

Did you setup the Interface IP address for each VLAN?

In your case, both of the switches have the same VLANs and link by a tagged port. You can setup IFs' IP address of VLANs on one switch and enable IP Routing on this switch. The other switch will be a L2 switch no IP routing needed.

And those IP address of VLANs will be the gateways of your clients on each subnet.

regards
Steven Chan
Rich Stutte_1

On our main network (10.1.1.0/24) i have setup the interface IP addresses for each VLAN. Now this may be where I am going wrong. On the Default_Vlan on this switch i have a 10.1.1.0/24 address for the interface. On the newly created Vlan i have a 10.1.4.0/24 IP address. IP routing is enabled on this switch.

On my new switch (10.1.4.0/24) i have IP routing disabled and the Default_Vlan has an interface IP address in the 10.1.1.0/24 range. The newly created Vlan that connects the two together has an interface IP address in the 10.1.4.0/24 range. The Default gateway on this switch is set in the 10.1.1.0/24 range.

I have switched around so many ip addresses on these switches these last few days that I am really confused as to what network ip addresses go where. Do I need to configure any static routes?

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Steven Chan_9
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rich,

Since you already setup interface IP of each VLANs and setup IP routing on this switch. It means this switch is the router on your networks.

Your new switch with the same VLANs will be a L2 switch, no IP address is needed. The hosts on the default VLANs (10.1.1.0/24) use the interface IP address of this VLAN on your main switch as default gateway. The hosts on 10.1.4.0/24 uses its VLAN's interface IP as gateway also.

In your case, you only need to setup default route on your main switch, unless you have other subnets on other L3 switches or routers, you don't need static route.

regards,
Steven Chan
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hi !

You shouldn't use adress of a subnet for VLAN IP interfaces. In VLAN context of configuration you specify any address value available for NODEs in that subnet, e.g.

#config
#VLAN 1
#ip address 10.1.1.1/24
#VLAN 4
#ip address 10.1.4.1/24
#sh ip route

BR,
Dmitry