1751843 Members
5222 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

procurve 4108 connectivity problem

AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

procurve 4108 connectivity problem

I came in today to a weird problem that seems to have 'appeared' over the weekend.

In a nutshel;
Some ports on the Procurve seem to be unable to ping specific IP addresses. Some ports work fine and can ping everything.

If I plug a lap top directly into a 10/100 port C1, I can ping some machines but not others.
I have hooked up a Dlink switch on an uplink cable to the procurve and if I plug the same lap top into a spare port and ping exactly the same IP's then all of them work. Its as if the procurve is preventing the connection somehow if its from 'within' but its fine if the request comes from outside.

I have set factory default as I have a simple need with one network so I haven't configuread a Vlan.

Any ideas what may be up? or what I can reset apart from erasing the startup-config.

I have removed one of the 10/100 connector modules, switched on then off, replaced the module and tuned on again and the ports still show the same characteristics. - It now seems well beyond me, im stumped.
6 REPLIES 6
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: procurve 4108 connectivity problem

Hi Anthony -

What OS version are you running on the 4108?

Regards,
Ralph
AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ralph,

If I use the console and type 'show vesion' I get the following

Dec 16 2002
G.07.21
primary

Pls let me know if this is the info you require.
Thanks
Anthony

Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Anthony -

Yes, that was exactly what I needed.

Fix PR_1000020826, described in G.07.60 as:

"Ping (PR_1000020826) ├в Sometimes switch cannot ping its default gateway."

may fix your problem. The fix description I quoted from the Release Note is not really correct. The nature of the bug is actually more general than described.

There have been over 20 OS releases for the 4100 subsequent to G.07.21. These releases contain dozens of bug fixes. Since you are experiencing a problem I strongly advise you to upgrade to the latest OS, per http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm .

Ralph
AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

I updated to the latest G.07.70

It may have fixed the original problem but left me with another one and im open to suggestions on what config/settings to look at now.

The 4108gl has 5x 24port 10/100 modules and 1x 6 port 100-1000-T module.

Anything plugged into the 100-1000T can see anything else in this module but nothing else on the Procurve. Vice versa anything plugged into any of the 120x 10/100 ports can see any other but they can't see anything plugged into the gigabit module.

Im back working as ive temporarily moved the servers onto a normal 100 link for now.

Any suggestions on where to look next?
Thanks
hawot

Hello, ANTHONYB.

We have configuration of equipment looks like your:
The 4108gl has 4x 24port 10/100 modules and 2x 20 port 100-1000-T module.
We have a problem very looking like your.
The update of os with G.07.53 on G.07.93 did not help.
A problem disappeared at the shutdown-including of feed, but appeared again.
We can not find the decision of problem. For us this is important.

Did you succeed to decide this problem?

Andrey.
AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

The fault was eventually traced to a faulty 6 port 100-1000-T module.

Devices plugged into this module could see eachother but nothing else on the switch. I plugged the suspect module into a spare bay and the fault followed the module.

I rang HP and aparently our procurve has lifetime warranty so a new module was received 2 days later, installed and the problem fixed.