Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

procurve Switch configurations to enable NLB of a virtual cluster

innocence
Occasional Visitor

procurve Switch configurations to enable NLB of a virtual cluster

Good afternoon all

I hope u can help me im trying to establish what configurations are necessary on hp ProCurve 6600 switch to enable Nlb to function on virtual cluster with an esx server. On the vswitches i have configured the load balancing option of ip route hash. I have configured the connection between the ProCurve and the esx server as a trunk lacp. i want to use the multicast method. I have updated the firmware version of the switch to 14.65. I have added the command ip arp-mucast-replys to all switches. As you are aware im unable to add static arp address which would be perfect as I would just add the VIP address of the server. when i disable one of the trunk links the connection to the cluster fails. considering im running nlb connectivity should be contiguous. I have attached the a network design and configs of switches. I was advised to use the a multicast filter and add the mac-address of the server but I donâ t whether to drop or forward packets. I have tried to find more info on this command but to no avail can anyone help.

thanks and regards

RB
7 REPLIES
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Re: procurve Switch configurations to enable NLB of a virtual cluster

Hi Innocence

Are you using Microsoft NLB in Multicast mode ?

Are you using it with or without IGMP support ?

Awaiting the answer
Gerhard :)
innocence
Occasional Visitor

Im using multicast now i thought igmp was enabled by deafult but it seem that it isn't. if i enable igmp are the any other configurations that i may have to use.

thanks

innocence
Occasional Visitor

so to clarify im not using igmp support at the mo but i would like to. do u know what the commands are to enable it ?

thanks
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Innocence

The key item if you need to enable IGMP support on windows.

For the vlans that host the "clusters" make sure they have igmp enabled. The command is "ip igmp".

HTH
gerhard
innocence
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Gerhard i will try that tonight out of hours. also having checked the logs im seeing a lot of bpdu topology change traffic. The switch which i have designated the root bridge has a spanning tree priority of 15 and it the spanning tree-priority for the tree trunks i have are set at 6. The other run switch all have a priority of 6 and 4 for the trunks respectively. im seeing a lot of intermittent connectivity failures between the vms (the clusters) on both enclosures. I think i may have got the spanning tree priority mixied up as on cisco switch the higher the value the higher the priority. what do u think ?

regards
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Lower priority is better. On both HP and Cisco ;)

STP is easy to remember since the term cost is used. With STP cheaper is better and this includes priority ;).
innocence
Occasional Visitor

thank you for that i will make the changes to the spanning-tree prioirty and enable igmp on the regired vlans and ports. I let you know how it goes

thank you