1753324 Members
6488 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

procurve manager javaw.exe

Jason Wasser
Occasional Advisor

procurve manager javaw.exe

I am attempting to install procurve manager on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 machine. During the installation process I get to a java screen where I would type in the password for the pcm, unfortunately as soon as I click "Next" the computer is taken over by javaw.exe taking 99-100% of the CPU. I have attempted to install different versions of Java, but the install uses it's own javaw.exe packaged with it. I used the same install on a Windows XP SP1 computer and it worked fine. I have searched many places but have not found any solutions. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Re: procurve manager javaw.exe

What is the spec of your system, and does the install continue after that, or what happens exactly?
Jason Wasser
Occasional Advisor

The system I have is a AMD 1700 XP processor with 512 MB RAM; Windows 2000 SP4. It has not done anything since I have clicked the "Next" button. I can't even move the mouse or pull up the task manager to close it. I can ping the computer, but other than that it won't respond. I have uninstalled and re-install, but the same thing happens every time.

I believe I already explained what happens exactly above. When I get to the point of typing in the administrator password and click next, then javaw.exe takes over 100% of the processor and nothing happens, not even the mouse will move. Thanks for your help.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and scan for updates. Could be that the .net stuff is necessary for this program to work. Then again perhaps the presence of .net messes it up. If you already downloaded it can you remove .net?

Ron
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

HP ProCurve Manager does not use the .Net framework so i doubt that is the issue.

Are there any other Java applications that you might be running at the same time.
Could you check your task manager before you run the install and see if there is another javaw running.

This is a stretch, but do you have DNS configured in your environment?
Jason Wasser
Occasional Advisor

There is no other javaw running when I run the install. The javaw.exe that is running is the one that comes with the install program. I am running HP WebJetadmin, which may use java, but I see no executables in the task manager. Any other suggestions? I'm surprised that I'm the only one who has seen this issue. It seems like this would be a common problem with a fix readily available. Too bad for me since I already unloaded Top Tools.
Arsi
Occasional Advisor

Try using different java plugin. For instance Sun java:

http://www.java.com:80/en/download/manual.jsp

Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

You are right this is very strange, I tested it on Windows 2000 SP4 and worked just fine.

What version of Windows 2000 are you running (Server, Pro, Enterprise)?
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Ok this is a little experimental but worth a try.
When the Java application starts up in the first screen start the Task Manager click on javaw.exe and right click on it and choose the priority to Low. Then enter your administrator password and hit Next.

Hope this helps.
Jason Wasser
Occasional Advisor

I am using Windows 2000 Server Standard. I tried setting javaw.exe to low priority but it still took over the computer. I am going to attempt to install java from sun again but that did not help it before.