1748006 Members
4666 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: procurve switches not vlaning correctly

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

procurve switches not vlaning correctly

Have a main 4108 and 4 2650 procurves. I have lets say 3 vlans, vlan1 (primary) marketing, vlan2 accounting, vlan3 IPPhones. I have a router with 3 interfaces 1 interface for each network , marketing, accounting, IPPhones. I have 4 fiber modules in my 4108 uplinking each of my 2650s and also I have 3 ethernet modules in my 4108, one for each vlan. My fiber modules are a member of all vlans, and i have the router interface plugged into the corresponding ethernet module on my 4108. the 2650s are vlaned with 16 ports for each vlan.
Vlaning is not working, I am getting broadcasts from everywhere, and I can plug any device into any switch port and it works. Do I have to explicitly say vlan1 is 10.1.1.0/24 or what. My switches are not doing any routing.
from my understanding ports being a member of more than 1 vlan must be tagged. and a port a member of 1 vlan is untagged. Most of my devices do not support vlan tagging. Any help would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Wade Preston
Advisor

The way I have my vlans setup is when I have a port that uses multiple vlans, then I have it setup as untagged on the main vlan and then tagged ont he rest of the vlans. Then when I have a port setup to be a part of a single vlan then that port is setup as untagged for that particular vlan I want it to be a part of. I only assign an IP address to the vlan that I want to access the management port so that I can telnet or browse to the switch. I guess the only difference I see in what you are doing and what I have is the all tagged ports for multiple vlans. I hope this helps.
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

I could not find out how exactly you defined the tagging on the links and such. So I made a simple drawing of how it should work. Please see attachment. If you have any more questions, post it here.
Shiraz Malik
Advisor

It would be helpful if you could please also mark the subnets of each vlan in the diagram you have posted with your last msg.
Also show the correct placement of router in your diagram. I assume that you have a router and you have also specified the default-gateway on your switch.
All this information will be very helpful in solving your problem.

thanks
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

Here is a more defined picture of my setup. I have recently added and subtracted from my setup. My router is a simple pc with 3 network cards routing the traffic, each interface is plugged into a different module and each of those modules are defined by the corresponding vlan.
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Chris,
It sounds to me like the PC (acting router) is not configured properly.

Make sure you are actually "routing" and not "bridging" with the PC. For instance, on Windows you can use RRAS to route or "Bridge Connections" to bridge. These kinds of options exist on other Operating Systems as well (if you aren't using Windows).

Bridging will cause all PC NICs to forward all frames to the other NICs in the bridge. This would provide the exact behavior that you are describing.

Regards,
-sean
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

I am certain that this pc is routing. We have 3 networks and without it they would not be able to access each other.