Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753800 Members
8029 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"VTP" or trunking between 2 procurve switch

KKF_1

"VTP" or trunking between 2 procurve switch

hi , i am new in procurve switch ,my company just purchase 4 unit of procurve switch , which is 2 unit of 2510g-48 and 2 unit of 2510g-24, we going to implement vlan , i understand that all this unit is only layer 2 switch , do we do have one cisco 2600 router for intervlan routing purpose, my network structure is main connection goes to one of the 2510g-48 switch , internet connection goes direct to that switch also , and other switch connect direct that switch, i do have route connected direct to that switch, my problem is , i am able to do the intervlan router at that main switch , but from rest of the 3 switch it is not working, i am trying to find out what is the command for "VTP" for cisco in hp procurve , i understand that the "switchport" is "untagged" and "swtchport mode trunk" is

for example , i named the main switch as a coreswitch , the rest of it will be switch ,1,2,3

internet connection connected to port 48 at coreswitch
swithc 1 port 1 connected at port 1 at coreswitch
switch 2 port 1 connected at port 2 at coreswitch
switch 3 port 1 connected at port 3 at coreswitch
cisco router connected at port 10 at coreswitch
i asume that the routing cmd at correct at router, i am able to ping the subinterface at coreswitch, the intervlan routing is working at coreswitch only , so i am looking at the command for "VTP"

so at the each of the switch i have 6 vlans whch is vlan 5,6,7,8,9,10

i am not sure the command i use is correct or not

at core switch

vlan 5
tagged 10,1,2,3,48
vlan 6
tagged 10,1,2,3,48
vlan 7
tagged 10,1,2,3,48
vlan 8
tagged 10,1,2,3,48
vlan 9
tagged 10,1,2,3,48
vlan 10
tagged 10,1,2,3,48

at the switch 1

vlan 5
tagged 1
untatagged 1-5
vlan 6
tagged 1
untagged 6-10
vlan 7
tagged 1
untagged 11-12
vlan 8
tagged 1
untagged 13-14
vlan 9
tagged 1
untagged 15-16
vlan 10
tagged 1
untagged 17-24

my problem is when i assign port to and vlan at core switch , i am able to ping to router subinterface, but at switch 1 , it cannot be done... seem like the vlan 5 that i created at core swtich doesn't communicate with swith 1 vlan 5 , any command that i miss?
2 REPLIES 2
Bock Markus
Frequent Advisor

Re: "VTP" or trunking between 2 procurve switch

You call a 2510g switch as "core-switch". But 2510g are only Layer 2 switches and intra vlan routing cannot be used on this devices. It would be better to by one layer 3 switch to do the vlan routing because the bandwith and routing performance with the 2600 cisco router, will be very slow. The configuration on the procurve switches should be ok, but what have you done on the cisco router? Port 48 should not tagged to all vlans, only in the vlan where the ip range from the inside interface of the firewall is connected.
Did you configure subinterfaces with 802.1q enabled?
VTP is a cisco protocoll and is not supportet on procurve switches.

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: "VTP" or trunking between 2 procurve switch

Hi there,
>>>
vlan 5
tagged 1
untatagged 1-5
<<<

apart from the typo "tatagged", it's wrong.
the line
"tagged 1" is negated by the line "untagged 1-5"
a vlan can only be tagged OR untagged (not both) on a single port
result of these two statements is vlan5 is untagged on port-5 (last statement executed).
=> change it to "
vlan 5
tagged 1
untagged 2-5

and it will work.