1747980 Members
3597 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"tftp: SEND error:1, msg: File not found" Message in Procurve 5308xl Log

Gauler
Occasional Advisor

"tftp: SEND error:1, msg: File not found" Message in Procurve 5308xl Log

This Message is in the Log every 30 Minutes, what is it? I don't want the switch to SEND something....
Chris
17 REPLIES 17
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: "tftp: SEND error:1, msg: File not found" Message in Procurve 5308xl Log

Not sure what exactly is going on. I do know that the procurve will try to get its config from a TFTP server at start up. Did you run it through the Switch Setup?Perhaps all it needs is for you to assign it an IP address and save the configuration?

Appears to use the cisco IOS so you can get to the command line and do

show config
or
show run

and see if there is anything in there about a TFTP server.

On a cisco if you type a ? after a command it will tell you if there are any options:

show tftp ?

or just

show ?

If all else fails get yourself a tftp server (3Com's is good and free) and set it up and tell the switch about it and see if you get any files.

Ron
Louis Goeppinger
Honored Contributor

Hello Chris,
The alert ???tftp: SENT error:1, msg: File not found??? is referring to a tftp server on the network that is requesting a file from the switches. The file being requested is not on the switch, so the error is generated. You will need to find the tftp server and stop the requests at the server to stop the errors from continuing to be logged.
Louis
Gauler
Occasional Advisor

Any Ideas how I can find a tftp Server in my Network? I have no ideas....

Chris
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Contrary to what's been said I have no information that the switch would by default try to connect to TFTP in any way. Neither is it capable of doing anything with TFTP automatically.

As for where to find the TFTP server... it's sitting in one of your computers, whether a server or a workstation I don't know.

You maybe could find it by configuring a monitoring port on the switch, capturing all network traffic for an hour and try to find which IP address is sending TFTP requests to the switch.

HTH,
TAL
Louis Goeppinger
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,
A packet sniffer would probably be the fastest way to find the TFTP server address
Louis
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Arimo,

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59692354.pdf

Page 5-11 under DHCP/BOOTP Operation. It says that roughly that if given a TFTP server address by DHCP/BOOTP it would automatically try to get a config from the TFTP server. I was just thinking it might have gotten an address by accident. I know a lot of devices will keep trying to get a DHCP address periodically unless you give them an IP address so I thought it was worth a try. Seems odd that there would be a rogue TFTP Server on the network.

Gauler:

As for how to find a TFTP server on your network:

Go to www.shareware.com or www.winsite.com and search for "port scanner" and you will find a bunch of them. Download one and it should do the job for you. Most of them allow you to set the network range to scan and which service to look for. TFTP Service runs on port 69.

Ron
Gauler
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the answers, I have not configured dhcp or bootp, I have enter the IP-Adress manual. (Hope, I understood your answer correct, my english...)
A Portscanner runs over the hole Network but didn't find any tftp-Server. It seems that I must do a log of the hole traffic....

The only maschines with tftp can be the 10 servers, the other does't runs the whole day, but there is no tftp server on these servers. Can it be any error in the configuration file?
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ron.

I checked the manual and it does talk about TFTP. The way I read it is that the DHCP server provides the TFTP server address to the switch, so if DHCP in this case is not used, this doesn't apply.

Chris, it just came to me that the switch actually works itself as a TFTP server. This error would appear, if you have a TFTP client trying to retrieve a file from the switch.

So, I think that's actually the thing you should be looking for, a TFTP GET request directed TO the switch instead of FROM the switch.

As for where to find the TFTP bugging you, I'd propably take first a close look on all UNIX/LINUX boxes in the network, then maybe if you have other networking devices, 3Com or Cisco.

HTH, Arimo
Ernst, Manfred
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gauler,

I have the same error messages with my HP switches and I would like to know if you found a solution for this problem. Did you find a client that talks to the switch using tftp?

Manfred Ernst