New Discussion юеВ

related to modules of chassis switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
auludag
Occasional Advisor

related to modules of chassis switches

hi,

i have a question. The modules (gigabit, fast ethernet vs.) which are used in chassis switches, use the 41xx switch backplane? or do they have ow switching capability? for instance, do i use backplane for 2 servers connection which is connected to same gigabir module?

regards,
8 REPLIES 8
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: related to modules of chassis switches

Auludag,

If I understand your question correct, You want to connect 2 servers on 1 gigabit module in the 4100 series switch and you want to know if the traffic runs on the module only or also uses the backplane?

Yes, that is possible. You will alway's use the backplane. It is not limited to static routes or interconnection on different modules.

Regards,

SCOOTER
auludag
Occasional Advisor

Hi scooter,

yes this is exactly what i do. but what i understand from your reply is that, the modules don't have individual backplanes. am i right?

rgrds,

adnan
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If two servers are connected in the same module: traffic between them is switched in the backplane or inside the module, without going through the backplane?

Is that what you are asking, Adnan?
auludag
Occasional Advisor

yes definetely Olaru.
HRE
Valued Contributor

Hi 'Auludag'!

If I remember the HP Training in the right way, there was the Information that the modules have their own backplane for inter-module switching. Traffic from Module to Module is using the chassis backplane.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

He guess what HRE is right. On the same module connected servers wil switch on the module.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

This is all academic since it would take a lot to over-subscribe the 18-36 Gbps chassis backplane. I don't really think one needs to be concerned about trunking to a server with all member ports on the same module unless there are a lot of servers. Even then, unless the clients are on the same switch, the inter-switch trunk links are what will get saturated.
HRE
Valued Contributor

You are right. If you calculate the max. Bandwith from one Module ( nr. of Ports * max. Traffic) and compare it with the Backplanes data you'll se some important results ...