Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Re: setting up a small home network

Hello Nerraj,

Use the following subnet:

192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.5

No Entry in GateWay
Remove IP's from DNS

I changed your ipconfig/all output. look at the attachment.

The Modem has nothing to do with your home network
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Off course the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Neeraj_7
Frequent Advisor

Hello LATIF,

i tried what u suggested. But still i am unable to ping either of the two computers.

Rgds,
Neeraj.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Disable the firewalls for testing with ping.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

ipconfig/all again on both computers and post is here.

Did you make the LAN Cables yourself?
Did you try different ports in the hub?
Do you have a 3rd party firewall software e.g) Zone Alram?
Are you on SP2? If yes, is your Firewall truned on? Open the Windows Firewall icon in the control panel and see if the firewall is turned on? turn it off and ping.

Keep us updated please

Neeraj_7
Frequent Advisor

Hello Latif and all,

thanks for all ur support and help. my problem is solved. May be there was a problem in the Lan card of both the computers, i m still not sure. I tried with the other two computers and it worked. but now when i add the 3rd computer(ip - 192.168.1.2)(the one which previously didn't worked) , it gets added to the network and it detects the other two computers on network, but the other two are not able to detect this or ping this. Even it is pinging the other two computers but it is not able to ping itself. And other two are also not able to ping this computrer. I find it very starnge.
Thats why i am thinking of changing the network card of this computer. Lets hope it helps.
Once again thanks for all your help.

Rgds,
Neeraj.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Neejra,
I still think that are some ports blocked due to firewall settings or so?
However, try to uninstall TCP/IP & reinstall it again.
Also, use the free utility from Microsoft PORTQRY.EXE to determine what port maybe blocked. Run this utility in both the working and the none working computers and compare the results.

Donwload it from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310099

You have the option to download the portqry.exe command line or the Graphical portqryUI which is easier to use.

If you already resovled your problem, please tell us how?

Thanks

Neeraj,

I understand the point of setting up a small home network and I am curious... exactly how does this network connect to the WAN (External network a.k.a the net for example)?

If you are planning to connect a modem to one of the machines and use it for access or do you have a faster connection?

Have a look at the attached file and see how this goes.

Regards,

Dave