1752777 Members
6148 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sh tech

Anders_35
Regular Advisor

sh tech

Anyone know an easy way of getting the whole sh tech dump into PCM?
It seems a waste of effort to have to get it via a CLI, when you have a tool like PCM, one should be able to dump it to a file through there.
6 REPLIES 6
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I tend to use a scripted Telnet to pull from all my switches, but you should be able to use the CLI wizard in PCM to TFTP the file to the PCM repository.

copy com "show tech" tftp 10.11.12.13 file.ext

The CLI wizard starts you in the config context so you need to back out one level first.
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for, since the command can't be automated or sent to multiple devices (they'd all write to the same file..).

I'll just hope that they include that in a future version.. after all it's the first thing they ask for when we call support.

:)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Wasn't sure if by CLI, you meant telnet in to the CommandLine Interface or the CLI wizard in PCM.

AFAIK there is no support in PCM to use variables to generate unique filenames that you could run against multiple switches.

My scripted telnet generates the filename with brief description adding the date and last octet of the IP.

I will bring this thread to the attention of the beta team if you would like to elaborate on what and how you would like to see added.
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Well, that would be nice. I was simply thinking of adding a "get tech dump" function of sorts, either under config manager or diagnostics. Since the tech dump is the first thing HP support asks for, auto-generating them should be an option in a comprehensive mgmt tool.
It's not that it is difficult to do via telnet, like I do now, it's just annoying.
(Especially so, since I am doing it a lot these days, it seems that 30% of my brand new switches suffer from a more or less fatal HW-fault. Not impressed, HP!)
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

IKWYM :(
I guess it depends on how many switches and how often. I have had to swap out a half dozen chassis, a few power supplies, and couple dozen modules. Each requiring at the least, a "show tech". A few others are:
copy com "show tech all" tftp ...
copy crash-data master tftp ...
copy crash-log master tftp ...

I started off keeping a running logfile of support calls and put the various commands into it. I can then copy/paste them to the CLI, modifying the filename as need be.

As mentioned, I also script telnet because I need to gather "show mesh" daily from all my switches.

I hope this does not turn into a "so you think you got it bad" HP bash session. We need to ask nice and not pee on their shoes.

I like your suggestion for some "canned" CLI commands but I also think the CLI wizard/Policies could be expanded to include filename friendly variables for the date and IP address, etc.
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

>I guess it depends on how many switches
>and how often.

Of course, but you also have a certain expectation that a device that is more or less "plug and play" (like a switch without much configuration) would work right out of the box. Well, that's what we get for being on the "bleeding edge", I guess... :-)

But you're right.. let's not make this a bashing session. I meeting with HP tomorrow. Better to hit them on the head in person. :-)

>I started off keeping a running logfile
>[..] I can then copy/paste them to the
>CLI

hmm..That's a good idea.