5196 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: snmp request on 53xx

Battiston gregor
Occasional Advisor

snmp request on 53xx

Hi
i can make a snmp request on my switch using the ip address configured on the primary vlan but not with other address configured on other vlan on that switch. Is that correct ?
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Maybe your inter-VLAN router denies SNMP traffic.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

What you describe is consistent with the switch documentation. There's nothing wrong with the switch or your configuration.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

I need to modify my statement. :)

Based on my read of the documentation, that behavior seems consistent. The documentation is worded in a way that suggests that snmp is one of those functions that operate only on the primary VLAN.

I derived that the snmpd was listening only on the primary VLAN although I couldn't find a reference in the documentation that explicitly stated that.

Maybe someone from the product group can clarify.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Battiston gregor
Occasional Advisor

HI Hwee Liang Teo
What i found on the documentation is:
You can use any of the IP addresses you configure on the routing switch for
Telnet, Web management, or SNMP access, as well as for routing.
I don't have found the line where it say that it use only on the primary vlan

gregor
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

I could have interpreted the Primary VLAN section of the Advanced Traffic Mgmt Guide wrongly. An email to Procurve support using http://www.hp.com/rnd/assistance/email.htm should get you the correct answer. :)