Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752770 Members
4830 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

static lacp trunk and STP

Doug_Skranak

static lacp trunk and STP

I wasn't using stp until an unintended loop occured.

I have one DL320G5 that is connected to a 2900 (with address 192.168.0.2 in attachment) using a static lacp trunk comprised of 2 1GbE copper links. The hp utility shows that we're getting tx/rx on both links as well as successful lacp negotiation in the switch. Until I enabled spanning tree this worked fine for ~3-4 months.

Since I've enabled STP:
The LACP trunk to the DL320G5 will fail earlier than the rest of the switch. When this link fails, traffic still flows, for hours/(days?) even. Eventually, I won't be able to ping the address of the switch from a computer attached directly to the switch, but I will be able to talk to other devices on the network on different switches and beyond the router.

When I lose the ability to ping the switch, I also lose serial access. I note that the other 2900 becomes the CST Root (the first one happens to have a numerically lower mac). Eventually though, the only thing left to do is power cycle the switch.

I've dissolved the lacp trunk and am using TLB for the nic team now (which seems to work fine in the other 2900) in an effort to see if there are any differences.

Have I just not configured spanning-tree correctly or is there something else that I should look into?

Spanning tree in all switches is enabled with the spanning-tree command.

In addition, this behavior is exhibited on both 12.01 and 12.02 firmware.

Suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Doug_Skranak

Re: static lacp trunk and STP

Nevermind -- the switch died -- hardware failure.
Doug_Skranak

Re: static lacp trunk and STP

close thread