5894 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

switch clustering using stacking feature

zwerger
Frequent Advisor

switch clustering using stacking feature

hi,

does only the procurve's chassis solution (5400zl series, 5300xl servies and the 4200vl series) provide the "extended" stacking features such as creating a switch cluster or also other switches like the 3400cl series?

my problem is the following:
i have several proliant servers, 2 procurve 3400cl switches and 6 procurve 2650 switches. all my proliant network cards are in a team (i used the hp teaming software) using the TLB (transmit load balancing) mode. each server is connected with 1 nic on switch(3400cl)A and the other nic on switch(3400)B. between the 2 switches i created a mesh-domain.
TLB provides switch redundancy but only 1 nic is used for incoming traffic from the network and all nic's for transmitting traffic. i searched for a solution for a full load balancing with switch redundancy and found the "dual channel (dynamic) load balancing mode" available by using the so called INP license by hp....BUT this mode is no longer supported and available by HP...!
my idea was then to enable stacking on the 2 procurve3400cl switches not only to obtain the "virtual" managability but to obtain a cluster between this 2 switches in order to connect the 2 server nic's using TRUNKING mode (1 nic on 1 physical 3400 switch and the other nic on the other physical switch).
i'll be able to create this topology only with a switch that has the feature to create a cluster with another switch and where i can make a trunk over 2 ports on different switches in my cluster-switch-group.

is this possible or does somebody know's an alternative solution for my problem?

thanks....
j├╝rgen
7 REPLIES 7
zwerger
Frequent Advisor

Re: switch clustering using stacking feature

PROLIANTSRV
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
3400clA 3400clB
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Just connect one NIC to first 3400, and second NIC to second 3400, and create a Trunk of 2 Links at least between both 3400 like this:

Proliant Server
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
3400clA ----------- 3400clB
Switch ----------- Switch

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the mess in the drawing, i hope now it will be ok :)

Proliant Server
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
3400clA ----------- 3400clB
Switch ----------- Switch

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Again messed :)

Check attachment
Science for Everyone
zwerger
Frequent Advisor

hi,

thanks for your reply,
hm....you mean that instead of using meshing between the 2 3400cl switches i have to use a simple TRUNK (using 2 ports)?
and on the ports where my proliant server is connected i have to use LACP and on the server i set the bonding mode to use also LACP?

thanks,
j├Г┬╝rgen
Igor Ybema
Advisor

As far as I know HP does not *yet* allow you to really cluster the switches like cisco and nortel do. Clustered HP's are only for the management point of view (easy to manage). Cisco and Nortel do allow you to cluster and see the two switches as one real switch.

From inside information I understand that new firmware which will come out within a few month will allow trunking over multiple switches. But I don't know more about it or how it works.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Just make a Trunk of at least 2 ports between the 3400s.

And leave the Ports on the Switch on default : Auto.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone