1748226 Members
4679 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: switch problem

badro
Occasional Advisor

switch problem

I have a building with 20 users connected to hp4104gl Procurve, this switch connected to another HP4000 in another building through fibre cable sudenly the network went down in the first bulding, at the begining I checked the fibre but it was ok then I changed the the speed from auto to fix 1000 and everything start to work a gain I am not sure why this was a problem because before it was working with this setup????
6 REPLIES 6
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Do you have any port monitoring running? ro any kind of utilization monitoring ?

Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

By default the fibre ports on the 4000M default to 1000-FDX, whereas the 4100 default to Auto.

It sounds as though your 4000M had been reset to default configuration for some reason.
badro
Occasional Advisor

I have checked the 4000 it was on 1000-FDX

badro
Occasional Advisor

sorry I am not monitoring any port in any of the two switches.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

The most logical explanation is that the duplex setting on the 4000M or the 4104gl changed so that it caused a mismatch and brought the link down. Possibly someone else logged into the switch and changed this? Was there anything interesting in the logs for either switch?
badro
Occasional Advisor

The message alert shows the following message in the hp4000 "Excessive Broadcasts on port I1" but the the fibre was connected in J1.