108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: switch recommendations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

switch recommendations

I need to replace some 3com 3900 superstack II switches, two to be exact. So I am in the market for a layer two managed switch with at least 36 ports and a fibre optic gig E uplink.

Can anyone recommend a switch that they have used and thoroughly enjoyed?

I am looking for reliability and ease of use as my criteria.

Thanks,

Dave
Clothes make the man, Naked people have little to no effect on society
7 REPLIES 7
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

No one has used a switch that they liked?

Well thats not that suprising I guess :)

Dave
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Dave.

Here we use HP procurve 4000m as our standard. There are have a base of 40 ports and is expendable to 80 ports. You can also buy fiber optic module or gigabit module (for RJ-45).

At my location I use 2 of them. Also you will have to take the $$$ to aford!

If you need a little bit smaller, you can go with the procurve 2524. This is a 24 ports and you can put 2 module on it. Fiber optic or RJ-45 gigabit modules.

Both switches are web base managable and easy to use.

Marc
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

Have you ever had problems with them?

The reason I need to replace these 3com switches is because they intermittenly drop ports. Also the web interface will stop working and I will have to physically reboot the switch before I am able to enter the management console.

I think the HP switches are a little outside of my price range, I was also hoping to get some lower cost equipment, the 3com switches are also very expensive.

Thanks,

Dave

Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

ok, one advice about pricing. If you want something efficent without having trouble, you have to pay for it. Yea 3Com is cheap, but you have what you pay for.

That's 2 year I use the HP4000 switch and HP2524 switch and they are realy good. I use HP switches for 4 year myself and I never had big trouble. If you cant afford, try to get them in leasing, some time that help for cash flow! Or speak to an HP representative what is best for you.

You have to think about the manufacturer support and waranty of the device afther buying. That is very important. That come with the price you pay. HP is always there if you need help.

I speak only of HP cause I already enconter some problem with Intel and Cisco switches. Alors HP is easyer to manage via web browser then the Intel and Cisco.

Hope that Help you to justify your budget!

By the way, I am not an HP resaler!

Marc
Erik Ibsen_1

Where I work we've used several different brands of switches (ATI, 3Com, Dlink, Cisco, and HP). As a result, our network consists of mainly HP gear (1600's, 2424's, 4000's and 8000's, 2524's, 4100's and 5300's). Why? They work. The 2524 is faster than the (comparable) Cisco 2950. We have somewhere in the area of 180 2524's alone, and do date I've had problems with 3 of them. Replacement units were received from HP within 24 hours. I've even gone as far as to purchase 2 2524's for my own use (for LAN parties).
And no, I don't work for HP. I just appreciate good engineering at a good price.
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Guys,

I am in the process of convincing our finance guys that HP switches are in our best interests. Its pretty easy really, I just go to their port on the switch and unplug it, then I wait for them to call, and I tell them they just took part in a simulation of what happens if we don't replace our switches with reliable equipment :)

I'm just kidding, with the switches we have right now I would just have to wait for his port to drop!

Anyways thanks again.

Dave
Davis McNeill
Occasional Contributor

If you need a good selling point to the budget guys, remind them of the lifetime warranty. My environment has 40 - 400m deployed & aprox 20 - 2524. They are both highy reliable and I have always found the HP procurve support excellent.
Unless you really need the redundant power and the flexibility to move module from switch to switch on occasions, I would reccomend the 2524 or the 2650. The smaller factor chassis and uplink modules seem to be the direction HP is heading. Good luck.