1748211 Members
4160 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: switches list ip - mac link

antonio di paolo
Occasional Advisor

switches list ip - mac link

i have my network based on 4 procurve 2524m and a 2424m.
i need, for every switch, al list of every mac address associated whit its own ip address for every port of the switch.
The switch has a monitor port so, i whould use a sniffer; but how obtain a simply sorted list of the port-ip-mac-association?
I need to control on a hand that nobody whould use multiple non own ip address; on the other hand nobody whould change the mac address of the own net card.
grazie
carpe diem
7 REPLIES 7
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think you want ot take a look at the arp tabel on the switch. On the server the command is arp -a, i think if you log into the switch the command is simular.

HTH,

Gideon
antonio di paolo
Occasional Advisor

Thank. the problem is to have a list real-time registering the access on a port whith the related ip and a mac and maintaining that list on the which i can check and operate.
grazie molte lo stesso
carpe diem

You are able to obtain the mac address from each swith port, through the CLI, show command.

This will show you the MAC address table. For the 2524 switches, I am not sure wether the commind is 'show mac' or 'show bridge'. Most switches are the former, but the 4000's are the latter.

You should be able to capture the data and tie up mac address's with ports.

As for tying up mac address's to IP addess's, there are several options, but I believe there are shareware utilities that will do the trick.

If not a good old fashioned ping then an arp -a.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

You can't do this on these switches. Only a software product will help you. For Windows environment check out the free IP scanner http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Dunno about the 2424, but if the 2524s are running the current release of firmware, the following CLI command will give the info you need:
sh mac-addr
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

For IP to MAC mapping, two other possibilities are:
- get the ARP cache from the nearest router (for Cisco IOS, "sh arp"), or
- if you have a MIB browser, get the same info from the router by reading its
MIB-II.atTable
Domenico Viggiani
Super Advisor

Peraphs Switch Digger http://www.exploits.org/sdig/ is your friend.

Mimmus