cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching Vs Trunking

scorrecar
Occasional Visitor

switching Vs Trunking

I would like to know if are some tests with trunking betweenn an HP and Cisco Switch. I would like to know if the performance is the same between this two equipments or if it´s different if there was 2 HP or 2 Cisco Switchs communicating.
Thanks,
3 REPLIES
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

Re: switching Vs Trunking

My tests, conducted using Cisco 2900XL, 2500 and 6400 (routers) and HP 2500 and 2600 switches have shown no speed difference among configurations, in terms of trunking speaking. All differences were consistent with the performance (in terms of memory and processor) of the involved equipments.
Walter Kiczko
Occasional Advisor

I am also wondering about Trunking on my HP4000m switches. If I am limited to 4 Cat-6 Trunks from switch to switch, should I set them to Trk of the type trunk or should I set them to Mesh and make 8 of them from switch to switch? the mesh limit I read about is 24 per switch, and I do have ABC on already.

here's my basic setup:

T1 line
|
Cisco 2600 router
|
Watchguard Firebox x1000 firewall
|
| -----servers (email, win2k)
| |
primary HP 4000 ---------HP2524's dorms
|||| |||| |
|||| |||| |_____1GIG fiber_____HP4000_lab
|||| ||||
|||| HP 4000 Trk 2 offices
||||
||||
HP4000 Trk 1 other buildings, offices, etc

My PRTG graphing software is still timing out on SNMP to ports on the Trk1 switch and to ports on the Trk 2 switch. I have ABC at 50% on the trunks and server ports and 30% on user ports. Experiments with 0% and 30% and 50% broadcast control seem to be useless and not very fruitful, so I don't think that's the problem. What is the best thing here? Keep them trunk or reprogram to Mesh.. and will I then need 4 more wires to connect the trk1 switch to the trk2 switch and make a.. triangle?

Thanks for any help,
Walter
Walter Kiczko
Occasional Advisor

Also,

I see in my event log that one of my 2524's conneted via a Trk1 back to the 4000m is getting lots of Blocked by LACP and I dont remember seeing these messages in 5_34, but now in 5_52 they are here.. Are these caused by something I did when I set up the Trk1 Trunk from 2524 to 4000 or by the new firmware? I tried to turn off lacp on all interfaces but the CLI didnt like the word 'lacp' at the end of the command.

Help!

Walter