New Discussion юеВ

tagged port configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
bibiab
Occasional Contributor

tagged port configuration

Hi All,
I am facing a tagged port issue please help me.
I am using a HP procurve 1800 switch and HP procurve 3400 switch.I need configure tagged port between these switches,My current network status is,I have 4 vlans in hp procurve 1800
and all these vlans are configured in 3400 also.
Now port no 24 in 1800 is connected to port no 22 of 3400 and it is dedicated for one vlan.
My requirement is rest of all vlan should be go to 3400 switch via this 24 port in 1800.in 1800 have only web interfaces please let me know what all are the steps should i follow for completing my requirement.

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
Shadow13
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: tagged port configuration

after creating the vlans (vlan>vlan setup) got to vlan port configuration then.

on port 24 (which is connected to the 3400 siwthc)
check "VLAN Aware enabled"
on "Packet Type" check 'All"
on "PVID" choose the untagged vlan that will be between the 2 switches (default is vlan 1)

and "Ingress Filtering Enabled" make sure to check it, this option will allow only the traffic from the VLANS that the port is member of.
bibiab
Occasional Contributor

Hi thanks for your response.actually we have for vlans untagged should be for four vlans,
But in PVID box i saw one none option why we are using this option.if i put one vlan in PVID box,I think it is for only one vlan.
bibiab
Occasional Contributor

Hi
thanks for your response.actually we have for vlans tagged should be for four vlans,so how can i give more than one vlan in PVID box.In PVID box i saw one none option why we are using this option.if i put one vlan in PVID box,I think it is for only one vlan.
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

this option is to specify the UNTAGGED VLAN, if all the VLANS are tagged (Including the defual VLAN 1) then choose none.

Doible check on the 3400 switch is port 22 untagged on any vlan ?

If port 22 is only tagged in all the VLANS on the 3400 switch then choose none in that option and also on the option before it choose "Tagged only"
bibiab
Occasional Contributor

So if i put NONE option in PVID box,that port will trunk for all vlans ?
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

either way it will trunk, but none mean there is no untagged VLANS.

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

a port can be be tagged meber of multiple vlans.
but only untagged member of one single vlan.

untagged and PVID differ a little in behaviuor because one influences sent and the other received packets.

if untagged packets are allowed on this port and untagged packets are recieved, they will be forwarded within the vlan defined by the PVID.
If untagged packets are allowed ont his port then packets comming from vlan defined by PVID have their vlan-id stripped before packets are sent untagged out of the port.

PVID is also used for "special" traffic like spanning-tree lacp etc.

if configured for all-tagged packets, then incomming untagged packets will be ignored, outgoing packet will all have vlan-tag. and the connected device must also be capable of hanling packets with vlan-tag.