108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

trouble setting up fibre connection between switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
ststst_1
Occasional Contributor

trouble setting up fibre connection between switches

Is it required to configure anything to fibre ports of switches to set up a connection between the switches? In my case, I have a 5304xl with a mGBIC SX LC -module connected with SC-LC fibre to a 2424M with a J4112A 100Base-FX module, with SC connectors. Somehow the link doesn't work, although the port LEDs indicate that there is a connection. Both switches have only the default vlan 1, with all ports untagged to it. With a standard cat5e copper cable the link works, with different ports of course.

What should the duplex settings be for the link to work? what about flow control etc..?

thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: trouble setting up fibre connection between switches

With fiber you need to make sure the same standard is being used. You cannot mix and match different standards.

100FX <-> 100FX = okay
Gigabit SX <-> Gigabit SX = okay
100FX <-> Gigabit SX = incompatible

In this case you would need the J4113A (Gigabit SX) for the 2424M, as long as your fiber run is no greater than:

Maximum distance:

* 220 m (62.5 ├В┬╡m core diameter, 160 MHz/km bandwidth)
* 275 m (62.5 ├В┬╡m core diameter, 200 MHz/km bandwidth)
* 500 m (50 ├В┬╡m core diameter, 400 MHz/km bandwidth)
* 550 m (50 ├В┬╡m core diameter, 500 MHz/km bandwidth)

If it is longer than this, you will need to get one of the 100FX options for the 5304xl instead.
ststst_1
Occasional Contributor

the switches are in the same rack, so the cable length is ok. I'm just wondering that is it anyway possible to get this link working. Mini-GBIC gigabit SX modules can't be connected to any 100fx ports?

If it's not possible to connect the 5304xl to 2424M with the SFP modules I have, I hope that with a 5304xl and 2626 both using the same mGBIC modules (J4858B) the link should work with no problem with a fibre with LC-connectors?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

That's correct, you will not be able to get the J4858B and J4112A working together...

You will be able to get the 2626 and 5300 with the J4858B mini-gbics working with no problem at all.