Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trunk media types

SOLVED
Go to solution

trunk media types

hallo,
may I add in the same trunk group UTP links and FiberOptic links, for example one 1000base-T and one 1000-sx in the same trunk ?

best regards
Francesco
4 REPLIES
Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor

Re: trunk media types

Hi Francesco

On HP trunks, the requirements are that all ports have the same speed, duplex and flow-controle. So you should be OK.

However be aware that if you are using LACP, all links must be of same media type.

So i would say, hp trunk = yes, LACP = no

For more info:
http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/3500-5400-6200-6600-8200-MCG-Mar10-12-PortTrunk.pdf

Tore

Hi Tore, thankyou.

I just read the doc you send me but it is ambiguous.

for example:
- on page 4 > Link Connections.

The switch does not support port trunking through an intermediate, non-trunking device such as a hub, or USING MORE THAN ONE MEDIA type in a port trunk group. Similarly, for proper trunk operation, all links in the same trunk group must have the same speed, duplex, and flow control.

- on page 8 > Table 12-3. General Operating Rules for Port Trunks
see MEDIA:

Only for LACP the concept is clear:
on pag 5 (LACP NOTE:
LACP requires full-duplex (FDx) links of the same media type (10/100Base-T, 100FX, etc.) and the same speed)

But for static trunks 802.1q, are you sure that we can use DIFFERENT MEDIA TYPES ?

best regards
Francesco

Tore Valberg
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi

Strictly speaking you can use different media with NON- LACP trunks. As long as they are of same speed and duplex.

Its when you mix different speeds it start to get complicated.

However, HP do recommend using the same media type.

But it is possible, as the HP trunks is a protocol free trunk.

Tore

thanks Tore
I agree with you

best regards
Francesco