for each other in case of failure. Anybody
can help me doing the configuration. Can I use
RSTP to do that????
4 REPLIES 4
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: two HP 9304

Hi,
Your are going to have to tell us what function they currently have. Are they just doing layer 2 stuff or are they routing? Are they the default gateway for your clients (PCs)? Redundancy can be accomplished at many different levels. Layer2, redundant links = loop. Spanning tree can fix that and that would give you some kind of redundancy at layer 2. If the boxes are routing and you want to provide a "always up" default gateway, you would use VRRP. If these boxes are connected to a larger network, changes in the network topology are typically handled by a dynamic routing protocol (maybe OSPF???) which would give you the redundancy if alternate path exist. Again, more info needed.

Olaf

badro
Occasional Advisor

They are doing layer two stuff only and they are the core swtch in the network(default gateway). I ant to know the commands to do that as well
badro
Occasional Advisor

They are doing layer two stuff only and they are the core swtch in the network(default gateway). I want to know the commands to do that as well
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

If they are doing layer 2 stuff only (switching), then they can't be your default gateway (default gateway = IP address for networks that are not local).
Do you have VLANs configured and and IP address assigned to those VLANs (via Virtual interfaces, VEs)?
We need to know more about your topology.