4779 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vlan Tagging not working?

edb_1
Advisor

vlan Tagging not working?

Hi All,

I'm setting up a DL360 with a single NIC and need to setup vlan tagging on to two networks, one vlan, 10 is our internal network where the device needs to go to a SQL server on 192.168.0.5, and the other vlan 100 is our web dmz with a gateway of 192.168.100.10.

The adapter is plugged in to a Cisco Catalyst.

having setup the hp network configuration utility with the two vlans

internal network 10
web dmz 100

I get two new network connections in network connections

I have setup the web DMZ vlan adapter with a ip, subnet and default gateway and have left the other vlan with just the IP and subnet

I can ping 192.168.100.10, however i cannot ping 192.168.0.5 through the other "port"

The cat is set to

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,100

so i should be able to see both vlans, however is just not working.

I don't think i should set a default gateway on the internal nic as i'm not happy with having two default gateways and looking at the routing table it seems to show that traffic for 192.168.0.5 goes out of 192.168.0.4 (the servers internal vlan 10 ip) but i just cannot do anything from this route, any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
gesadmin
Advisor

Are those two lines your entire interface config?? Check to see if it is indeed forming a trunk by issuing sh int trunk and a sh int e/ switchport. You'll want to add switchport mode trunk and switchport nonegotiate to the interface if you haven't already.
edb_1
Advisor

Sorry that's not the complete config as below...

switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 100
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,100
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast edge

Thanks for your help on this
gesadmin
Advisor

what do you see in the output of sh int trunks?? Do you see the interface actually established as a trunk??
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hi there,
The line "switchport trunk native vlan 100
" should be changed!

Result of this line is that vlan-tag is stripped from the packet before it is sent to the connected host.
Packets incomming to the host accepts vlan10 and vlan100, but unless the hpncu also has a "native" vlan setting untagged packets probably are ignored.

So if you keep the native vlan as "1" (or any other vlan-id you don't really use) you'll get better results.
---------------
As for routing setting a default-gateway on both nic's gives unpredictable results.
the host will use the gateway last set, or of the first interface up at boottime. Also when a networkcable is unplugged and plugged in again, it will switch to the default-gateway of the connected nic.

better configure only one "default" gateway (route 0.0.0.0) and other routes as "static"
(route add n.n.n.n mask m.m.m.m g.g.g.g /p)