1748140 Members
3709 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vlans with mitel 3300 & hp 2524

Stuart Phipps
Occasional Contributor

vlans with mitel 3300 & hp 2524

does anyone know how to setup the hp 2524 to work on a mitel 3300 using a vlan???

i have setup 2 vlan's one is data and the other for voice, the only problem i have is that the paging does not function has it did when my voice and data were on one address range. mitel say its a network problem.

but i know everything is setup ok on the hp 2524 or maybe i've missed something ???
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: vlans with mitel 3300 & hp 2524

Could you explain your current setup? What do you have on the conection between the 3300 and the hp? Which VLANs? Which have tagging? What are the ip addresses of the 3300 for each VLAN? Is there a router involved anywhere? A layer 3 switch? Any way for one vlan to communicate with another?

Ron
Stuart Phipps
Occasional Contributor

system has 4 hp 2524 switches, default vlan 1 is my data network with 4 servers and two routers (1 is for our internet & the other is a link to our other office cisco 800) no layer 3 switches. the voip system is on voice vlan 2 with voip ethernet phones.

vlan set up is:-

routers untagged on vlan 1 tagged on vlan2.

mitel 3300 no on vlan 1 untagged on vlan 2

data only untagged on vlan 1 no on vlan 2

ip phone & data untagged on vlan 1 tagged on vlan 2

ip phone only no on vlan 1 tagged on vlan 2

i had to set up vlan as we were having a few problems with the mitel system but now the paging to ip phones are not working and giving a long tone.

the ip phone works ok if plugged direct to the mitel system but if plugged into the hp 2524 paging is a problem and need to know if there is anything i need to set up on the hp switches
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

The docs on the mitel seem to want you to use 802.1p and.1q tagging so it seems strange that you would not have tagging on the connection to the Mitel. Obviously you would have to tell the Mitel somehow that it was on VLAN2 and that it had to use tagging.

I'm not clear on exactly how paging works on your system but perhaps end to end .1p tagging is required for it to work.

Is the router allowing traffic from VLAN1 to go to VLAN2 and viceversa? Do the devices have default routes pointing to the router? Is the paging system connected directly to the Mitel or is it on the LAN?

Ron
Stuart Phipps
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your reply Ron.

When the IP Phones boot up they are on VLAN1 and my DHCP Server tell the IP phones to reboot into Vlan 2 Priority 6 on QOS.

The paging is done on handsets only. handset paging works if the ip phone are pluged in directly to the mitel 3300. not on the hp 2524 switch.

Not sure how you do end to end .1p

Routers do not see Vlan2 but only Vlan1 (this is something to worry about later as i want to HP2524 switches configured right first)

I'm not sure how you show the programming of the switch so you can see how it is configured.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Seems like there should be some way to turn tagging on on the Mitel link in order to get your end to end .1p tagging. Won't the Mitel take a DHCP correction like the phones?

I guess I do not understand what you mean by paging. My understanding of paging is that there is a separate loudspeaker system which can be accessed via the phone. In the old systems with which I am familiar they have a separate connection to the PBX but I suppose that it would be possible given that this is tcp/ip for the connection to be via an individual phone without going through the Mitel. However, given that it doesn't work unless the phones are connected to the Mitel without the VLAN business I still think we need to get the tagging working on the Mitel link. Perhaps the paging requires that the phone modify the TOS tagging in order to indicate that it is a page?

Since there doesn't seem to be a separate data connection to the Mitel I don't think we will need to worry about getting the routers to switch between VLANs. (Though if you are talking Cisco routers I can help you get them working).

Ron