Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752458 Members
6290 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: which cable to buy to connect 3 other switches directly to the 1000 Base-T SFP ports

LACARLYLE
Occasional Visitor

which cable to buy to connect 3 other switches directly to the 1000 Base-T SFP ports

newbie here so please don't kick my butt too hard...

just bought my first HP 1910-24G-PoE and I want to connect 3 other hp switches directly to the 1000 Base-T SFP ports but noticed that those (4) ports dont use a regular cat 6 cable.  It looks like a deeper etherne connection.  Where can I buy the cables or connectors that will fit there?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: which cable to buy to connect 3 other switches directly to the 1000 Base-T SFP ports

If you mean you have empty SFP slots  then they are for SFP transceivers (usually for fibre)

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_1910_Switch_Series/index.aspx#tab=TAB4

You could buy  1000 Base-T transceivers but it would be an expensive way to add a few additional ports. If the other ports on the switch were only 100Base-T it would make more sense to use the SFPs as uplinks. As it is I would forget about them.

LACARLYLE
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your help.

YenLin
Frequent Advisor

Please refer to the link.

All of these 24 ports are 10/100/1000, so you don't need to buy any extra GBIC(Giga bit interface card).

If you have reason to buy them, that's becasue your other 3 deivces are over 100M which is longer than Cat5, Cat6 cable distance.

You can connect these 3 devices directly to any 3 of these 24 ports.