Switching and Routing
1753851 Members
9615 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

1820-24 switch VLANs

dlleno

1820-24 switch VLANs

Hi -- i'm out to know if I can use my 1820-24 switch to segment traffic on my local home network, while still using the std issue CenturyLink router (which does not support VLANs) for connection to the public internet.  I think my understanding gap lies in the area of configuring ports on HP switches -- and the concept of VLANs without a VLAN-capable router.  my goal is to allow devices to reach the public internet, but not each other.  At this time, have no need to route traffic from one VLAN to another.

is it possible to have separate VLANs (including the default VLAN1) configured in the switch and for end stations on each VLAN to utilize the same DHCP server in the CenturyLink router on the same subnet?   in other words, is both of the following possible at the same time?    

wireless SSID 1 no VLAN tag --> switch port 11 --> switch port 23 --> router port 1

wireless SSID 2 tagged VLAN6 --> switch port 11 -->switch port 23 --> router port 2

BTW I am using ubiquity APs which support multiple SSIDs and VLAN tags.  All switch access ports are untagged for VLAN1.  ports 11 and 23 are tagged for VLAN6.  The above isn't working so I must be missing some fundamental networking concepts or just doing something wrong..

1 REPLY 1
dlleno

Re: 1820-24 switch VLANs

could someone connect the dots for me and/or point out what I might be missing?