4693 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2824 switches, firmware update won't install

monkeymissile
Occasional Contributor

2824 switches, firmware update won't install

Hi,

I tried updating the firmware on our pair of 2824 switches, first using the console port and second via telnet, but can't seem to get it to "stick". With both methods, everything appears to connect, download, install and update, but if I "show version" after the reboot, the old firmware keeps showing up.

Any ideas?

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
showneek
Respected Contributor

Hi,

the switch has two flash areas for holding the system image, primary and secondary and one of them is active for booting. You probably update the firmware to non-active area so after rebooting the firmware is the same.

"show version" command displays only the image from active area. If you want to see images from both areas try "show flash" command.

If you need to reboot switch to another area (with newer firmware for example) you have to enter this command:

"boo system flash <primary | secondary>"

which reboots to selected area and makes it active for next booting.

BR,

Jan

monkeymissile
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan,

thanks for replying, but no luck; "show flash" indicates that both the primary and secondary images are still both the older version (I.08.98 dated 5/5/06). The Boot ROM version is I.08.07 which, according to HP, does not need to be updated prior to a firmware update.

I found some instructions online (http://evilrouters.net/2009/02/02/upgrading-procurve-firmware-via-tftp/) that allowed you to specify which image you wanted to update, but it didn't work either. I noticed that connecting via telnet did not give me that option.

I am stumped.....

Justin

showneek
Respected Contributor

Yes, you have current Boot ROM so there is no need to update it. The instructions you found seems to be OK. Are you sure, that the switch does not allow you to pick up the area with "copy" command? This should be possible with tftp or xmodem. Anyway, this is strange because even if you don't choose the area the switch should update the primary (or active) area.

Is there anything interesting you can see in the log (show log -r) after the update process?

Did you try to download firmware file again from web or try to download different version?

Jan

monkeymissile
Occasional Contributor

Jan,

I'm not sure what you mean by the copy command; sorry this is the first time I've done this.....

I've attached a copy of a recent portion of the log file in case it sheds any light.

I did re-download the file from HP (same version though) in case it was corrupt or damaged.

I really appreciate your help BTW.....

Justin

showneek
Respected Contributor

Hi,

ok, the "copy" command is the way how to update switch via telnet but from command line interface (CLI) as you can see in the instruction you found before. I suppose you work with text menu interface.

Anyway, in the log we can see that the primary flash was updated and update was completed, so it is really strange. Only idea I have now that the switch use secondary area as active for boot.

Can you switch from menu interface to CLI and post output from "show flash" command entered in CLI (I don't remember if there is equivalent in text menu).

Otherwise my ideas comes slowly to end... The last to try is upload little bit older firmware and if the result will be the same try to contact official support. But please give me the show flash output.

BR,

Jan