4132 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3Com Baseline Switch 2848-SFP Plus (3C16486 / JE737A) firmware upgrade

TimQ
Occasional Visitor

3Com Baseline Switch 2848-SFP Plus (3C16486 / JE737A) firmware upgrade

Hi everyone,

I have upgraded the firmware of a 3Com Baseline Switch 2848-SFP Plus (3C16486, new model ID is JE737A). Before the upgrade, the version of the firmware was 1.0.2.4 and I attempted to upgrade to version 1.0.3.3.

When performing the firmware upgrade via the web interface, the web page seems to time out / redirect to an unreachable page after a short time. Refreshing the page brings you back to the upgrade page. Ever since, the device only boots in fail safe mode (POST error).

After some closer investigation, it seems that the device drops its network connection during the firmware upgrade, effectively making it impossible for the upgrade to finish. This error has been a known error and was supposedly fixed in firmware version 1.0.2.2 according to the release notes. The description of the error was the following: "Issues Fixed in Switch 2848-SFP Plus Release 1.0.2.2: Losing connectivity or power-cycling during the upgrade procedure would result in the switch entering failsafe mode. However from here it would not be possible to re-install the switch software. This has been fixed in this release of code.". 

Does anybody know how to fix this or is there another way to upgrade the firmware of this switch, like (T)FTP?

All help would be more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Tim

5 REPLIES 5
TJtheone
Advisor

install  TFTP server in your PC and connect console and UTP cable to the switch.when power on the switch and pres CTL+b and there is option to upload the firem ware in the menu

TimQ
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

This switch does not seem to have a console port available, it only has a power cable and the 48 + 4 network ports. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tim

mapazzzm
Occasional Visitor

Hi,
My situation is similar to the first record. One to one. Is there a solution? The switch is now in failsafe mode. No reset or restart does not help. How to update firmware? You did it solve the problem?

I test all the firmware from this page:

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JE737A

mapazzzm
Occasional Visitor

Everybody

So I solved the problem. Requirements for the firmware of failsafe mode as follows: maximum Windows XP SP3 x86 (Vista and Seven does not work. Also does not work on 64-bit OS versions). Internet Explorer maximum - 6 version. 7 and 8 also does not work. Other browsers also does not work - after downloading the firmware on switch will ship a few seconds and the web page seems to time out. In version 6 IE it works. The computer must be connected directly to the switch. If connected through an intermediate switch is does not work. Connected switch via Discovery. First upgrade firmware version 1.0.2.4, then 1.0.3.3.

Profit! =)

P.S. I'm so sorry for my english )

RobertVb
Occasional Visitor

Reading this old threat,

i'm looking for the password of the 2.4 release,

there should be a difference between the releases,

To my knowledge there should be a difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 version

Most 2848 do have the blank password field,

Spent some time in the past allready with it,

At last i found the manual on hp site, just for the release itself with the desired password,

Nowadays, the manual is repleced by one manual with only the blank password field, 

Can anyone help me ??

If i'm wrong, and it's just the 2.0 with password i'm sorry