108808 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: best security mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zaragohari
Occasional Contributor

Best security mode

Hi , I'd like to know what the best security mode for the port switches is is. The switches in my network are not any actice security mode

Best Regards

Zahra

3.png

3 REPLIES 3
-Alex-
HPE Pro

Hello  Zaragohari,

I would use "perform a combination of mac authentication and 802.1x authentication".

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Zaragohari
Occasional Contributor

thanks Alex, and forom these options in Perform a combination of MAC authentication and 802.1X authentication:  , which one should I chose

macAddressOrUserLoginSecure.

macAddressOrUserLoginSecureExt

macAddressElseUserLoginSecure

macAddressElseUserLoginSecureExt

-Alex-
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello  Zaragohari,

It depends what you need. 

This document may help:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/7500/cr/5200-1951_security_cr/content/470807407.htm

Basically it depends how you would like to use the port - will it be used by only one or two devices or you may need more - how many devices and which way of authentication will be the preffered one MAC or 802.1x.

For example some devices cannot authenticate with 802.1x - some phones, printers etc. This devices may need to be authenticated first so you may use the type of authentication which is first. Also there are options for simultaneous authentication.

So this should be considered from the way what is most needed in the network and if there is something specific but mainly it which authentication will be processed first - 802.1x /usually PC and servers/ or MAC /usually guest PCs, IP phones, Network printers etc/. In the link above it is written which mode is giving priority for first authentication and if multiple authnetication are needed.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo