108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: switchs topology

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nicolas967
Occasional Advisor

HPE switches topology

We have 3 bays all equipped with HP switches.

The first bay contains 4 switches 1820-48g (J9984A) simply connected to each other.

The second bay contains two 1910-24G (JE006A) switches that must be redundant (LACP)

And finally the third bay which contains 2 switches 1950-12XGT (JH295A) with IRF activated.

What is the best way to chain Bay 1 to Bay 2 and 2 to 3 without creating a loop ?

Thank you for your advice

Nicolas

9 REPLIES 9
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Is Bay 1 connected in a daisy chain way?

Do you want to connect all Bay1 switches to Bay 2 and Bay 2 to Bay 3?

Any possibility to enable spanning tree?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Nicolas967
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,

yes all switches in bay 1 are connected in a daisy chain way.

And yes i want to connect bay 1 to bay 2 and bay 2 to 3.

This is partialy in place but my problem is to make the 2 switches of Bay 2 redundant for a vmware vsphere cluster.

I tried to activate LACP between these 2 switches but it generated a loop ...

switchs.jpg 

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @Nicolas967,

How are you are activiating LACP from Bay2 switches to  vmware vsphere cluster?

Please share a diagram for that as well.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @Nicolas967, you're creating a Network Loop when Bay 2's switches connect to the IRF on Bay 3. In other terms the IRF (it's a single logical entity for both Bay 2 switches) close the chain formed by Bay 1 switches connected, on their respective ends, to Bay 2 switch 1 and Bay 2 switch 2.

What do you mean with the statement: "my problem is to make the 2 switches of Bay 2 redundant for a vmware vsphere cluster." ? How and where your VMware vSphere Cluster's nodes are connected exactly? Are you using VSS on VMware vCenter side?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Nicolas967
Occasional Advisor

i have an IBM Blade Center with two networks cards, each network card is connected to one of the switch of bay 2

i'm looking for a solution in case of loss of one of the 2 switches of bay 2...

Today, one of the 2 switches of Bay 2 is also the gateway for some vlan if I lose it, I lose the road ...

switchs.jpg

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @ Nicolas967,

It is a design issue.
Is Bay2 switches are in IRF?
Is it possible to form IRF between these two Bay2 switches?

Thanks!
Nicolas967
Occasional Advisor

IRF does not exist for this switches model...

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @Nicolas967,

I apologies, you are correct 1910-24G (JE006A) switches do not have IRF concept.

LACP concept is to bundle two or more ports from a switch or logical switches to get the more speed, redundancy and loop avoidance..

In this scenario, I believe LACP  with 'vmware vsphere cluster' will work if you will bundle 2 ports from one switch not from different switches.

Thanks!

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

There are two three main points here:

1. Network Topology: there is a Loop and it should be avoided (or, by means of proper STP priority setup on offending link - I refer to links from Bay 3 to Bay 2 - one could set that link so STP will block it preferring the other...but I don't believe that is the desired solution).
  2. The way VMware permits Links Aggregations (if you use Virtual Standard Switch - VSS - you can at best use Static Link Aggregations without any control protocol, if instead you use Virtual Distributed Switch - VDS - you can opt for LACP Link Aggregations, also called Dynamic). BUT - and it's the third point - in both cases the terminating (and orginating) switch entity must be a single logical entity (IRF) or a single physical standalone switch (Bay 2 Switch 1 or Bay 2 Switch 2, as example).
  3. Static/LACP Links Aggregations require them to originate and terminate on single logical entity (IRF) or a single physical standalone switch...so, considering this restriction, I don't see how - with the current setup/topology - your Blade Center server could be uplinked with Static or LACP Links Aggregations to Bay 2 on BOTH switches...it can...but only terminating on one switch per Link Aggregation. So you don't solve your initial problem of enhancing its connection resiliency within Bay 2.

A different scenario could be: IRF on Bay 2...and so you could connect a Link Aggregtion originating on your IBM Blade Center with member links distributed on both IRF Members....and you can use LACP or Static (better LACP). 

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner