1752782 Members
5891 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MSR30-40 licensing question

SBMcKnelly
Occasional Visitor

MSR30-40 licensing question

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.  If I need to remove the message, please let me know and I will do so if the system lets me.

Does a MSR30-40 require the purchase of a software license in order to operate?  One document I looked at said "No additional licensing complexity or cost for advanced features" while another said that software needed to be purchased and registered or else the router would reboot every 30 minutes.

Thank you for any answer you can provide.  I appreciate your time in reading this message.

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: MSR30-40 licensing question

@SBMcKnelly wrote:

Does a MSR30-40 require the purchase of a software license in order to operate?

It shouldn't (at least carefully reading the latest HPE MSR30 Router Series datasheet and newer and older MSR Router Series QuickSpecs from HPE).

Probably you've found something old - like this MSR Datasheet of 2010 - where the H3C MSR 30 Series Router Software License is cited, which refers (*) to H3C (or equivalent 3Com) MSR30 Router Series well before HP A-MSR Router Series (now HPE MSR30).

The very strange thing is that, altough Datasheets are clear, there is a reference about License Management Commands (see page 189 for display license and license register commands) on the HPE MSR Router Series Fundamentals Command Reference (Comware 5) of August 2015 valid for HPE MSR20, MSR30 and MSR50.

If you check the HPE MSR Router Series Web Based Configuration Guide (Comware 5) no reference (very strange) about Licensing Management.

It's also interesting to note that, instead, on the HPE MSR Router Series Fundamentals Command Reference (Comware 7) of March 2016 valid for MSR1000, MSR2000, MSR3000 and MSR4000 no License Management Commands are present at all.

Are all these bits of information just a sort of forgotten legacy left behind and not more updated (removed)?

(*) means: "The HP MSR product family used to be known as the the HP A-MSR product family. Also, before the HP MSR family, the equivalent 3Com MSR and H3C MSR were available. All of these three product families have same hardware and software specification except brand."

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner