Switching and Routing
1748179 Members
3989 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Split the stack system into 2 stack seperate but can less impact system downtime

TamLe

Split the stack system into 2 stack seperate but can less impact system downtime

Dear Team,

Help me about the solutions for the Stacks system. We have the Stack system with 9 switches, and running RRDD with 2 locations and authen MAC, vlan, some thing like that . This stack is connected to Servers and PC (1 - 4 Switches connect to Servers, 5 - 9 switches connect to PCs). Now I want to seperate this stack into 2 stackes to manage. because if have 1 switch is failure . So i need to have the solution for this, Please give me and advise the solution for this,

Thank in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Split the stack system into 2 stack seperate but can less impact system downtime

You have not provided any info about exact models of Switches involved. Are you using IRF (that's typical on Comware operating system based Switches) or what?

Stacking is an unclear term until you specify exactly how you exactly "stacked" those 9 Switches.

Generally if you deploy a virtual switch technology then to benefit from resiliency and redundancy you have also to dual homing relevant hosts connected to that virtual switch (that's to avoid the problem you noticed).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

In addition to what Parnassus has said, if you have a stack of switches and one switch dies, the rest of the stack continues to operate - this is the benefit of stacking.

I have had customers want 2 seperate stacks in case one stack stopped working. It's probably a fair question, if you are worried about human error or something similar. If you want two stacks so that one stack can be safely switched off, then you will need to re-architect your network because you will have a number of things from physical connectivity to STP and possibly routing to consider.