New Discussion

finding the connection between switsches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zaragohari
Occasional Contributor

finding the connection between switsches

Hi everyone
I am a new employee in my company and my boss has asked me to document the switches. That is to say : to determine which port in a given switch is connected to which port in another switch.
I have used LLPD, but that did not work.
Could anyone help me please? Any suggestions?
Best Regards
Sara
7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: finding the connection between switsches

Hello, what switches exactly are you referring to?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Which make of switches are you referring here?

If its Provision then follow below steps:

Enabled by default, both globally and per port but if needed:

ProVision(config)# lldp run

ProVision# show lldp info remote-device

And, if its Comware then follow below steps:

Enabled by default, both globally and per port but if needed:

[HPE]lldp global enable

[HPE]display lldp neighbor-information list

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Has my post helped you to answer your query?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Zaragohari
Occasional Contributor

Actually i have activated the LLPD from GUI and I did not use commands because I didn't have the switch password. My switch model is HPE Comeware 1950. As I understood it, the switches have a default password, that probably only my boss knows , and right now he is in vacation.
By activating the LLPD from GUI I have obtaind MAC adress of some ports. Now I think I must compare the MAC adress of these ports with MAC adress of other ports to find out which ones are connected to each other. To do this in GUI , I think only MAC tables are available but I need the MAC interface. Do you a have an idea, where MAC interface can be found in GUI?
One of my friends suggested to use commands to reach to MAC interface, but as I told I don't have the CLI password .
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

Are you not getting similiar output?

Port ID Type/Port ID is showing neighbor ports.

If have any issue the refer LLDP configuration example on pg.103 from HPEOfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series User Guide.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04657809

1111.jpg

Thanks!

Zaragohari
Occasional Contributor

lldp.jpgHello, 

yes , I got a similar result,  as I have fount on internet and understood, now I must compare the MAC addresses that are listed here with all the interface MAC addresses of the ports in switches. Have a understood it correctly ? 
Fo example , GE1/0/15  is connected to gi0/5 , How should I find out in which of our 5 switches is this interface port located ? and sometimes I only have MAC address ( like the first line in table) , how should I find the interface port for this addresses ?
I would really appreciate it if you could give me an example and show me how to do it , using the image that I provided here.
Thank you very much for you time 

akg7
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

There are lot of limitations with GUI.

I will suggest to set the system name on each switch so it will help to show the connected neighbor information.

Device --> Maintenance --> Settings --> Set Device Name

Thanks!