New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1.5 TB AdvFS domain with 14 file sets extending to 1.6 TB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Ellam
Advisor

1.5 TB AdvFS domain with 14 file sets extending to 1.6 TB

A customer of mine has asked me why he gets
"No space left on device" message when he performs a mount -u -o extend sap#data1 /sapdata1
He has mounted 3145728000 blocks, he has 14 file sets associated with the sap domain. He extended the volume size on an EVA from 1,5 TB to 1,6 TB. Using disklabel and hwmgr he sees that the capacity increased from 3145728000 blocks to 3355443200 blocks.

Hence the question on the error message. I see in the quickspecs that an AdvFS volume size can be 1 TB and was wondering whether the 1 TB was just a guideline and that the limit was set to 1.5 TB and that he'd reached this limit and anything more wont work.

what happens if he re-boots? Does AdvFS allow the file sets to be mounted with the 1.5 TB or is he hosed?

Thanks,

Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I had similar problems a couple of times.

Once, I was able to resize the file system by umounting, and running the mount -o extend. In another time, I was not able to extend the file system even by umouting.

If you reboot your server, you will see 1.5 TB file system, you won't be able to use the remainging space.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor
Solution

Each volume should not exceed 1 TB. If you exceed, you can never say when it would break down. Also, its not supported. Why not add another 1TB disk/partition instead?
Chris Ellam
Advisor

We are going to recommend the 1 TB volume size limitation and the creation of a new virtual disk and new AdvFS domain.

We are still worried about loosing the domain data now that the disk size is 1.6 TB and will query this through a Tru64 support call and to understand where the settings are open and the limitations are imposed. At a guess this is not in hwmgr or in disklabel an the limitation is imposed by mount and/or mkfdmn.