1748085 Members
5092 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

11 vi2 and 11 vi3

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 11 vi2 and 11 vi3

>Michael: What was the same between 10.20 and 10.30? They were both transitional.

No, only 10.30 was. (If you use the English definition of transitional, every OS version is. I assume you meant the music one, brief.)

>What was the difference?

10.30 had a limited distribution. Same as 10.10, 11.20 and 11.22.

>When at ATT, we used 10.30 on maybe 3,000 servers.

Then you were special.

>11.31 was originally marked exclusive to Integrity.

11.23 was originally for Integrity with PA support added a year later.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] You really need to work on your
> tedious attitude. [...]

And some people should work on the accuracy
of the information they supply.

> [...] its a personal problem [...]

"it's". Post less nonsense, and my "problem"
will disappear, as if by magic.

> 11.31 was orginally [...]

So, what's true now? What you said, or
something different?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Dennis

Obviously you weren't around for HP-UX 8 or 9 when HP-UX was Berkeley based. Then begin the transition into ATT based 10.00 which was complete until 11.00.

Steven

You are so predictable.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

"....The HP C/ANSI C compiler installation package provides the capability
to create and remove transition links from HP-UX release 9.x locations to
HP-UX 10.x locations...."

There are several example of left over BSD 9.0 versions of HP-UX in 10.20, and software still be written to make the move into ATT HP-UX. Page 14

http://docs.hp.com/en/5967-0005/5967-0005.pdf

BTW Dennis, you are the first HP-UX admin I've ever run into who didn't state 10.20 was transitional.

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

> BTW Dennis, you are the first HP-UX admin
> I've ever run into who didn't state 10.20
> was transitional.

Then I'll be the second one. It was not. But that depends on your definition of "transitional". If you're strictly speaking about a transition from BSD to SysV, then you're right, but 10.0 was even more major in that respect.

It is my opinion that BSD/SysV are details that will be irrelevant to a high-level architect who is just looking into deploying an infrastructure where millions in expenses are involved. That's the guy HP markets HP-UX to, and under that perspective, I think that HP's definition of "transitional" is one where the OS has been released to cater a specific technology need and will not be supported for long.

For example, AFAIK, 10.30 and many of the initial 11.1x Itanium versions were released as "transitional", under that definition. There were also special versions for the V class which I don't remember.

Olivier
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

"...10.30 and many of the initial 11.1x Itanium versions were released as "transitional", under that definition. ..."

Geez, you contradict yourself just jump into a pissing match.

This is real bore and typical of techies who refuse to back down and fight to the death rather than acknowledge a peer.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

IF your applications are running ok and you can get patches for your application and OS everything is ok.

If your application is no longer supported at 11.11 and you need a newer version of your applications that will require you to move to 11iv2 or 11iv3 then upgrade.

IF you need to replace the application running on 11.11 with a new application and that application runs on 11.31 or 11.23 then you need to upgrade.

You are probably running a system with limited amount of memory so 11.23 will require more memory.

This sounds like a redneck joke. You know you need to upgrade when .... (I live in georgia)
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Michael: Obviously you weren't around for HP-UX 8 or 9 when HP-UX was Berkeley based. Then begin the transition into ATT based 10.00 which was complete until 11.00.

I was around but then HP-UX was an appliance to me.

>BTW Dennis, you are the first HP-UX admin I've ever run into who didn't state 10.20 was transitional.

You are very confused. I never said I was an admin, I just play one on TV. I'm probably an admin's worst nightmare, I'm R&D. :-)
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Geez, you only confirm how bad HP support and service have become since the Compaq merger.