108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 11i upgrade problem with second cdrom

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

11i upgrade problem with second cdrom

I'm upgrading a N4000 with 11i from 11.0. Everything was working fine until the second cd. When it asked to insert the second cd, I removed the 1st cd and then inserted the second. Not knowing if update-ux would auto mount the cd, I mounted the cd from another term. When I hit return, it said already mounted and failed the install. It also stated to correct and rerun update-ux. So, I inserted the 1st cd again and it fairly quickly when through the 1st cd because the products were already installed.

When prompted for the second cd this time, I removed the 1st cd and inserted the second. I then hit return on the console. It comes back with cd does not contain expected contents????????????? I did insert the second cd. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks,

jcd....
If I had only read the instructions first??
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi jcd,

Did you give the drive 10-20 seconds to spinup & mount the CD? I always give the drive a little time before I hit enter - although I think it just waits until it's ready anyway.
Sounds like the 2nd CD is wrong or corrupt.
Check that the CD is the same date realease as the 1st CD & check it on another system if you have one.

And I always do backups & cold installs for all upgrades. Cleaner & less hassles. Although the 11.0->11.11 has a higher chance of success - I just don't take the chance. Besides I usually do it faster with a cold install & restoral post-install.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Chris Watkins_1
Respected Contributor

You could easily have a bad #2 cd.
If you have another cd to check with, try that first.

The last time I had an interrupted 11.0->11i upgrade like this,
I ended up Igniting it back to 11.0, and starting over.

The circumstances were similar. I'm not sure if there's some
easier "backout", but if there is, I'm sure someone will post it.

In my case, knowing the Ignite would only take about an hour,
I opted to go that route, rather than spend time on diagnosis.
(Plus, I had a mirror to fall back to, in "worst case")
Not without 2 backups and an Ignite image!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

We had this on 1 of our 11.0 to 11.i boxes - had to do the following:

5. Mount HPUX 11i Disc 1
6. Start install procedure
a. script /tmp/OSupgrade
b. mount /dev/cdrom /SD_CDROM
c. swinstall ├в r ├в s /SD_CDROM Update-UX \@ /var/adm/sw/Update-UX.root 2>/dev/null
d. edit /usr/lib/sw/update-ux.cfg file and comment out all lines that contain JAVAOOB
e. update-ux ├в s /SD_CDROM HPUX11i-OE
7. Follow Instructions

Rgd
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Got it!!!

For some reason, update-ux was confused. Just like me most of the time. Had to run update-ux with the -second_depot option. It is chugging allong fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I am upgrading a B1000 from 11.0 to 11i, and am receiving the same error when inserting the second CD. In this case, however, I have not interrupted and restarted update-ux, as above.

When it asked to insert the second CD, I removed the 1st CD and then inserted the second. When I hit return, it comes back with ├в The second CD does not contain the expected contents. Please...

I verified the correct CD, and also have tried CDs 1 & 3 with the same result. From another terminal I logged in and did an ls of the CD mount point to verify it was mounted and readable. All looks ok, any ideas?

Also, what is the -second_depot option, I find no reference to it in either the update-ux or swinstall man pages?

Thanks,
...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

Joeseop,

Oh.... So that's where you found out about the -second_depot option for update-ux!!

For anyone else interested, when you select n to not continue at the "Insert CD..." prompt, a message is displayed telling you to fix the problem and re-run update-ux with the -second_depot option to continue with part two of the upgrade.

Interesting thing is, I didn't change a thing, just restarted as indicated with CD2 in the drive and it ran. Prompted for CD3 and continued 'till done!??!!

Dan

...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"