1753785 Members
7695 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 gig file size

Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

2 gig file size

I have an RP 7410 running HPUX 11.i, how do I get around the 2 gig file size limit?
6 REPLIES 6
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

For the filesize limit, you could use largefiles option on your filesystem to make itu support file bigger than 2 GB

If this is a new mountpoint, use this while create the filesystem:

# newfs -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgxx/rlvolxx

If this is an existis mount point, than unmount it and use this command:

# fsadm -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/vgxx/rlvolxx

check manual on fsadm for more details

regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
sajeer_2
Regular Advisor

For existing mount point,remember to change /etc/fstab with largefile option after doing fsadm as sandy mentioned.Entry should be like,

/dev/vgXX/lvolname /mntpoint vxfs rw,suid,largefiles,delaylog,datainlog 0 2
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sajeer, sorry, you are not right. After setting largefiles option the mentioned change in /etc/fstab is not obligatory, it's only a remindser.
HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

Many folks seem confused with regard to the meaning and/or use of the 'largefiles' or 'nolargefiles' option in '/etc/fstab'.

From the 'vxfs_mount' manpages:

/* begin_quote */

These options do not turn largefiles capability on and off (use mkfs_vxfs or fsadm_vxfs to set and clear the largefiles flag), but they do verify whether a file system is largefiles capable. If nolargefiles is specified and the mount succeeds, then the file system does not contain any files whose size is two gigabytes or larger, and such files cannot be created. If largefiles is specified and the mount succeeds, then the file system may contain files whose size is two gigabytes or larger, and large files can be created. For a mount to succeed, the option must match the largefiles flag as specified by mkfs_vxfs or fsadm_vxfs.

/* end_quote */

Regards!

...JRF...

Sandman!
Honored Contributor

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

and finally, even if the filesystem is largefiles enabled, and even if ulimit and quotas do not come into play, there are cases where you still can't exceed the 2GiB limit because the application itself was not written to accomodate files larger than 2GiB.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.