Operating System - HP-UX
1753774 Members
6935 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 internal disks , one has operating system , want other to be a mirror as well

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Gunners
Regular Advisor

Re: 2 internal disks , one has operating system , want other to be a mirror as well

Hi Folks, Gosh v surprised at this one . There are no error lights on the disk itself , I also reseated the disk , and green light flickering in the usual way (you know when you re-seat it looks like it rebuilds back into the system) , this completes fine as well. Is there any other thing we can try - Im still baffled by the 'device busy' error. Would this suggest that something is hanging onto this particular disk (btw I rebooted this morn as well after the reseat)
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Davey,

After re-seating it and rebooting the server, if the diskinfo is reporting bytes size for this disk drive, you have dead hardware in your hands. The indicator lights and output of ioscan, usually shows you the status of the onboard controller for the disk device. If the controller's firmware is not registering an erroneous condition in the platters or mechanics, the disk may look fine to you and the system while it is effectively useless dead weight. If you still see the dreaded 0 bytes size, it is time to call in for hardware service. Otherwise, i.e., you see the actual size of the device on the output of diskinfo command, go through the steps in the procedure above to build your mirror disk.

HTH

Thanks again Mel,
Yea same story with the 'diskinfo' command after the reboot , even tried another pvcreate -fB and then another 'diskinfo' and same result. I will get onto the support side and get a new disk in as soon as I can , and follow up on this thread. Thanks everyone for all the help so far
The Gunners
Regular Advisor

Hi All , have taken your advice , and after much back and forward , we found that it is under warranty , so have ordered a replacement disk. Will update on how it is looking when I slot new disk in , and see if I can finish out this task
The Gunners
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone , got my disk replaced / and have followed all your great advice as of above. Did a reboot and hey presto!!!! The lights on both disk are now flicking as it executes commands , which proves to me that they are mirrored now. Thanks a mill for all the invaluable help and knowledge as always.
The Gunners
Regular Advisor

Solution worked as outlined by collegues above